• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash Lights Led replacemnet - Polarity sensative- advice?

Milkman357

My M-1009 has no dash lights on the Speedo or fuel gage.

So I bought some Red LED replacements. The LEDs are polarity sensitive. Any tip on how to tell which way is correct, or am I stuck with trial and error?

My 4 Wheel drive light is also out but I'll just use normal bulb for that.

Pinz25086

Use a digital multimeter. Go between one of the wires and ground. If it reads 0 check the other wire. One should read 24vdc. That one is your positive wire.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a 4wd light in the gauge section, above the gen1 light.

3dubs

No you do not test the light, you test the light "socket" There are two places the bulb make contact. Electricity goes from one contact into the bulb and then from the bulb into the other contact. So with the bulb removed you should be able to see it. If it is not clear, because sometimes it is hard to look inside the small space, then look at the bulb and then the "socket" You can use either a multimeter or just a test light. The test light looks like an icepick with a wire hanging off. There is a light inside the handle. Either put the ground from the multimeter or the wire hanging off the test light on anything metal that is connected to the trucks body or frame (that is the gound or where the electricity goes). Then take the positive connection from the multimeter or the sharp end of the test light and touch the two connections inside the socket one at a time. When you touch the ground connection it will not do anything no matter what you use. When you touch the positive connection the multimeter when set as a voltage meter will give you the voltage, the test light just lights up. Test lights are cheaper and I do not have to worry about the settings on the multimeter. The light is either on or not on. You can see how either work by testing on a good battery. Touch the negative on the battery (it is the ground) and then the positive on the same battery. If you are using a multimeter it should show about 12v if not check the settings on the multimeter. If you do this with a test light you will see the little light come on. Now use the front battery put the ground from the multimeter or test light on a piece of metal attached to the truck almost anything under the hood and then the posive to each side of the battery. So when testing the connections you are testing the same thing, you are testing to see which side of the battery the connection is connected to. That is how you know what is positive and what is negative.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks