• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dash pic/transfer case

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The joys of a camera phone and a heavy foot. This is top speed for me!

And I am posting from a cell phone internet, sloooow...

Dennis

Changed the topic question since it is veering towards transfer case questions.

Attachments

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dennis,
Are you running regular sized tires?

When I go 60, with my larger tires I am actually doing 68 mph.

So, is that speed correct with regular tires or are you going faster?

Thx.

jim

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, just a regular deuce, got the pump turned up some. I can get a little more speed before the governor in the pump kicks in.

Last edited:

forklift

how does that work?? My truck is at 52 to 54 MPH at that RPM. I've even checked the speed with my GPS. The speedo runs a little light.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the gps before and hit a high of 63 mph. Very short burst, just to check top speed. The speed is 1 mph off, I forget which way.

I figure the tach is a little tight is all. Reads a little low I would guess. 2600 rpm should be 56mph, and 2800 is 62, I think....

I realize there is a thought that high speed will ruin the transfer case, due to oil being slung away from the bearings and/or shift forks/gears. I am not convinced... yet. Time will tell.
Dennis

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Stretch,

I WAS the same way. Need I recap the return trip from Greenville, KY? A direct result from going too fast and slinging the lube away from the bearings.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Desert Rat said:
Stretch,

I WAS the same way. Need I recap the return trip from Greenville, KY? A direct result from going too fast and slinging the lube away from the bearings.
On the same thought, I've asked two towing companys to tow my Deuce home, and they both said"NO, unless I remove driveshaft first." their reason was I will starve lubrication to transmission and ruin it(even for just 40 miles.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch, I'm not quite convinced yet either. 10,000 miles at 55 or better and I'm not having any issues. I'm thinkng these engineers who put slingers in gearboxes must be crazy. If spinning bearings sling off all the lube, everything with bearings should fail. Also must consider that with the proper lube level, all this gears that are submersed on lube will be slinging it about the transfer case providing lubrication. These types of failures are usually a result of low lube levels probably from leakage.
Doghead, the tow companys response is a valid one. If you have your transmission in neutral, the gears aren't spinning and slinging oil and bearing failure could result. Interesting thing here, the deuces with the transfer case PTO had to compensate for just this. Running the transmission in gear with the transfer in neutral was spinning the input shaft but nothing was getting oiled. The engineers came up with a rotary lube pump built into the PTO that scavenges lube from a fitting on the transfer case drain and continues to lube the transfer case while the PTO is engaged. Bjorn, how many highway miles do you have on your truck? Do you honestly think 50 to 55 kills transfer cases? I need more convincing data for this one.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If spinning bearings sling off all the lube, everything with bearings should fail.
:ditto:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, how about 10,000 plus highway miles at or near 2,500 rpm for the last 18 months.
I do have a transfer PTO, if that has anything to do with the discussion.
Never a problem.

hot rod deuce

Yikes, this sounds deadly, no to change the subject again but has anyone heard of rockwell pinion bearing problems at high speed from lack of oil? Do you guys think that maybe synthetic oil would help?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought this thread might head towards the transfer case failure issue, seems to be some concern about it. For long hauls, I am at 55 mph.

Desert, are you taking you case apart for repairs, or replacing it? Was yours a sprang or air shift case? If you are taking it apart, take plenty of pics and post for us, and maybe we can figure out for sure what caused the failure, or at least convince some of us that high speed was the cause. You case did run in low range, did you drain the oil yet and see what was floating about? Was the oil level up?

O, I just bought a 63hp tractor, wanna race? :)

I work as a journeyman machine repairman, and deal with gearboxs everyday. Most don't run at 2600 rpm, or whatever the transfer runs at when in 5th(overdrive).

Last edited:

carguy455

Stretch44875 said:
I thought this thread might head towards the transfer case failure issue, seems to be some concern about it. For long hauls, I am at 55 mph.

Desert, are you taking you case apart for repairs, or replacing it? Was yours a sprang or air shift case? If you are taking it apart, take plenty of pics and post for us, and maybe we can figure out for sure what caused the failure, or at least convince some of us that high speed was the cause. You case did run in low range, did you drain the oil yet and see what was floating about? Was the oil level up?

O, I just bought a 63hp tractor, wanna race? :)

I work as a journeyman machine repairman, and deal with gearboxs everyday. Most don't run at 2600 rpm, or whatever the transfer runs at when in 5th(overdrive).

OH< tractor racing ? And I thought I was whipping on ol Desert Rat....OUCH :)

I would like to see pics of the inside of that T case too, I'm interested in this one.