• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dash repair question

combatmech

When I did mine, I used C clamps in places it didnt sit right. LOTS of RTV!!! I'd stay away from the spray stuff, might not bond in areas that the cover does not come into contact with the original dash.
Good luck

combatmech

Silicone sealant would be a better term for it. You can get it at most auto parts stores. I ended up using the clear stuff. Dont recall how much I used.

epitts

Only put on the edge and around openings such as vent and speak. I glued mine on with the dash out and used clamps with wood between. Make sure you clean the old dash good and sand down any breaks that stick up.

SimonG

Is there any way or thing to put on the dash to even out the pieces? like a tape to even out the bumps and depressions?

ralbelt

If the bumps are caused by the original pad lifting I would slice the bumps and insert contact cement to glue them down. Depressions can be filled with body filler, as usual surface prep will result in a better final product.

cpf240

Man, I wish my dash pad looked that good! Mine is more not there than there. We are hoping to find a decent one in the junk yard. I will be very interested to see how this works out for you.

Edited to add pics ( still think I can just cover it with vinyl? )

Attachments

Last edited:

SPCWarning

Man, I wish my dash pad looked that good! Mine is more not there than there. We are hoping to find a decent one in the junk yard. I will be very interested to see how this works out for you.
If you can't find one at the junkyard, you can cover it yourself with vinyl, using RTV Silicone or liquid nails. Mine didn't turn out perfect, but had I taken my time it could have been much straighter. (I was in a hurry).........but hey, no more cracked dash!

jdeoliveira74

See post #12 above, seem like alot of work when you can just glue on a new cover.
I had a car shop were we used to do a lot of custom work interior and so on. I may try to attempt to re cover my and see how it comes out. maybe it will work ! Its pretty flat shouldnt be too hard

bguy193

LMC Truck makes a direct replacement...... LMC Truck Parts - Page 95 Good company I've dealt with them in the past on restorations. Thought you CUCV guys might like to know. They also cary a lot of other hard to find peices like door components, dash bezels, and so forth. Hope this helps somebody.
Happy Trucking:driver: