• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dashes Direct final install pics.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I'd fill in the group on the dashes direct replacement dash. If I did it again, I'd pay the extra to find a good used dash! It does fit good, but too much trimming to make it fit. It's at least better than the one the Marines drilled multiple holes in!

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks very nice.
Curious as to what part of the new dash needed trimming to make it fit correctly?
The mold is not trimmed. There is excessive material on both ends and along the front where windshield meets the dash. I'll get more pics once I get it pulled out of the garage.

Also the locations where the clips mount are very hard to use. One clip actually broke off. The dash is very flimsy and I'm hoping the sun will let it flatten out. The defrost vents will not even fit in correctly.

Last edited:

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it just the dash cover? Or full on dash with frame and all? It looks really nice but good to know it takes a lot of work!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks very nice. Great job.
Maybe use a heat gun/hairdryer and a couple putty knives to finesse the plastic on the passenger side door jamb.
Pull the weather seal out of the way first.
Then use a ratchet strap between door hinges with blocks of 2x4 on the face of the dash. to lightly draw/press the dash into place.
1665903114016.png

cucvrus

Sad to say. I tried them all and nothing fits like the OEM dash pad. But it looks better than most I see. I was just looking at mine yesterday and wondering if I should clean it and Armor All it. I have it sitting flat in the upper barn, and it is dusty. I gave $650. for it. OEM grey replacement.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad to say. I tried them all and nothing fits like the OEM dash pad. But it looks better than most I see. I was just looking at mine yesterday and wondering if I should clean it and Armor All it. I have it sitting flat in the upper barn, and it is dusty. I gave $650. for it. OEM grey replacement.
There were two OEM black ones listed on Facebook a few weeks ago and within 2 minutes they were both gone in the next town over from me. He only wanted 200 a piece and I offered him $100 over that but wouldn't renig on the sale to the first buyer. I'm surprised nobody ever got the tooling to make these from GM. The amount of square bodys that are getting restored now, if someone could make an oem dash that fit perfect it could be worth a few bucks.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks very nice. Great job.
Maybe use a heat gun/hairdryer and a couple putty knives to finesse the plastic on the passenger side door jamb.
Pull the weather seal out of the way first.
Then use a ratchet strap between door hinges with blocks of 2x4 on the face of the dash. to lightly draw/press the dash into place.
View attachment 882171
Thank you! I already trimmed the passenger side and went a little to much on the trimming.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks