• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Data plate contract number

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 66 m109a am general. I'm trying to verify the contract number were they unique? Of is there a way to verify it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4H1420 is the Army registration number that someone scribed in the wrong field on your replacement data plate. The registration number is the US Armed Forces equivalent of a civilian license plate number. It is unique to your truck, and would also be painted on the hood up until the MERDEC camouflage of the 1970's.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4H1420 is the Army registration number that someone scribed in the wrong field on your replacement data plate. The registration number is the US Armed Forces equivalent of a civilian license plate number. It is unique to your truck, and would also be painted on the hood up until the MERDEC camouflage of the 1970's.
The serial number listed on the plate is listed as the. Vin number on the title. Would it be hard to correct the title? Also what should be put in the fields?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The serial number listed on the plate is listed as the. Vin number on the title. Would it be hard to correct the title? Also what should be put in the fields?

That could be a problem . There is a frame number that in the VIN . I sent you PM with a link to a good article on the M35's.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The truck's serial number IS the VIN, that is correct. You could "back into" the contract number by finding a M109 of the same year as yours and recording the information from the main data plate.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You may also want to check out the 2017 VIN INFO thread and read post #1 on there.

Frankly it probably should be mandatory reading for anyone signing up for this website.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may also want to check out the 2017 VIN INFO thread and read post #1 on there.

Frankly it probably should be mandatory reading for anyone signing up for this website.
So I read through the VIN INFO thread. It Dosent explain the contract number. Makes sense only thing I don't agree is the NSN with out dashes only because if I order anything our N4/N8 (supply) will not accept a purchase request for a NSN with out the dashes, happened last month.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I shall add some CARNAC wisdom to this since it appears your ocular acuity is at the 1" deep x 20 mile wide view.

First, this ain't the Navy, it's for an Army vehicle database search and if you add the dashes to the database search, it crashes the search. The person searching isn't ordering, he's searching a database. So I fail to see any correlation between your Navy ordering vs this search. The dataplate would normally have dashes in there but the database doesn't. I refrain from comment on a moronic system requiring dashes in an NSN. Sounds like you have a supply officer and not a true logistician. Logisticians get you what you need by any means, method, or process possible and are constantly in motion (never rest). Supply officers find every means, method, and process to keep from doing any work at the suffering of their charges (in other words they suck).

Second, the theory with this suggestion was to get your info correct and for you to validate the serial number on the frame with the one on the dataplate. In the meantime, the database sometimes (stress sometimes) has the contract number posted. IF it doesn't, there is a means, method, process to find other trucks of the same year that the contract number is posted and you could deduce that it would be the same. The alternate method could take a fair amount of work and I would say that if you wanted it, you should make a higher than normal donation.

Third, there was mention of the title being wrong. In my old post #1 on the older VIN INFO threads, it stated you needed to go by that number to make your request and the dataplate should be matched to the serial number (which is the VIN). So if your VIN on your title does not match the serial number on the frame, you have a problem. Since you are in TX, there are some legal means, methods, and processes to rectify that. I will let you seek your own wisdom and guidance on that.

Fourth, Army beat Navy and that's all I got to say about that.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC I do appreciate your breath of wisdom. I've been doing a lot of research to figure out what I need to correct on my truck. Correct me if I'm wrong understood , it seems that if its a 1966 that AM General may not be be been the manufacturer? In my 14 years in I don't think I have ever had a logistician sounds like a mythical beast that would make my job easier.

I think its because the army for the first time had the correct camo that confused the Navy team.

In the end I am trying to fix all the errors on the truck and make it time period and administratively correct.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1966 would have been Kaiser Jeep. Same facility as AM General. The Texas Title is wholly focused on the VIN, having the manufacturer wrong will not prevent a future transfer. You can fix that by filing a 130-U and checking "corrected vehicle description ".

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good news I spoke to the tax/title office.they said if I get an inspection that said its "Kaiser jeep" they will correct it on the title Sense I have not registered it in my name yet.