• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

data plate

johnsr

the data plate on my drivers side door says that the truck is an m1028, but i do have drw on the truck. so my questions are

1. has the milatary ever neglected to update the data plate for an upgrade?
like from the m1028 to an m1028a3?
2. is there a way to use the vin to find out if i have the right rear axle on my truck?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a M1028 it is not DRW. A M1028A2 or A3 would be the DRW. A M1028 should have the 14 bolt, while the A2 or A3 would have the Dana 70 DRW. Which transfer case do you have? A2's have the NP-205 while the A3's have the NP-208. Data plates are often missed or uninstalled.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing to remember is that the A2's and A3's were made from kits supplied by GM to standard CUCV's. It is very possible the data plate never got removed and the new one installed, or since some are on the door, the door may have been changed.

johnsr

i have the dana 70 drw with a np 208c transfercase.very nice pulling truck. i was kinda thinking the doors may have been changed.

johnsr

nice one, that explanes the coment of the officer that did my vin check when i whent to title the truck, " look's like they got this vin right".

rnd-motorsports

Forgot that! The vin# was wrong on all the paperwork even on the sill tag on the truck had 1GCGD on everything and the truck vin is 1GCHD they called me when I applied for sf97 said there was no such truck! LOL :cookoo:

donalloy1

what is NFUHCU randy? i suppose its another way to say that m1008, m1009 and m1028 doors are interchangeable. did not know that. thanks, dml2 sends....:confused:

Randy

what is NFUHCU randy? i suppose its another way to say that m1008, m1009 and m1028 doors are interchangeable. did not know that. thanks, dml2 sends....
Sorry for the vague and veering towards off-topic post. When I got my M1009 the registration number stencilled on the inside of the driver's door, then mostly spray painted over, was NFUHCU. My truck's number is NFOJAP - so I have the door off another truck. But yes, I think the doors from all the chevy truck cab variants are interchangable.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The NFUCHU is a registration number.

The military routinely paints registration numbers on the doors of vehicles and most likely the dash. That's so when the vehicle gets blown to bits in combat, they know what pieces were from what truck....

Figured I'd float that theory to see if anyone actually believes it.

Units flip flop or remove parts altogether from vehicles getting turned in to keep what is left running. It's the hanger queen scenario.

As for a vin not in the military system, quite possible, especially for older items. The new LMTV's not likely since it is a direct load from mfg to acceptance to issue process where the unit gets all the data preloaded. In the old days, the units loaded the data themselves. Garbage in, garbarge out. Some of this is explained in post 1 of vin info thread.