• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dating my deuce?

Bulletpaluza

I'm sure this is a topic that gets old on here, I have read many threads on it here but can't come up with what I need.

I am a first time deuce owner and pretty excited about. I live in GA so it doesn't need a title if its 1985 or older and they wont issue one anyway it will just get registration and tag. I need a Vin number to put on the paper work the sheriff signs off on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was told when I got I bought it, it was a 1968 or 1969 M35A1 but I think it's a M35A2C? At any rate it doesn't matter it's all mine!

So at best I got lucky if it falls in 1985 by 1 month but I would like to know for sure!

Here are all pics I could find that had any type of date. And the one frame number from the driver's front frame but it doesn't have many numbers????

Engine date on the tag is 8-85

Thanks again guys !20220116_133615.jpg20220117_200659.jpg20220117_200537.jpg20220117_200850.jpg20220117_200810.jpg20220117_185328.jpg20220116_104056.jpg

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you receive a title when you bought the deuce? They are worth more with a title. You can usually date vehicles by looking at ID tags on the truck without further information, but you do have a S/N and registration #. Check all three axles, transfer case, transmission, etc. You already have the engine date. Some of the stuff is likely to be original to a truck when new. I would guess the truck is a 1985 or 1986 based on the Air Force registration number where the first two digits would be the date the Air Force received the truck. The K indicates a tactical vehicle.

Last edited:

Bulletpaluza

Did you receive a title when you bought the deuce? They are worth more with a title. You can usually date vehicles by looking at ID tags on the truck without further information, but you do have a VIN and registration #. Check all three axles, transfer case, transmission, etc. You already have the engine date. Some of the stuff is likely to be original to a truck when new. I would guess the truck is a 1985 or 1986 based on the Air Force registration number where the first two digits would be the date the Air Force received the truck. The K indicates a tactical vehicle.
No title just bill of sale. And GA isn't concerned with when a truck was received just when it was produced. I think I got really lucky with this one being an 85 just another month or 2 and I would be S.O.L.! I appreciate all your guys help!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you sure? Just from the plaques? I can't find my serial number in that other thread so far.
How?
Well if you have been digging in the Carnac thread, you will see the serial numbers follow a pattern starting with 03, 04 etc. That is how we know you found the correct stamped VIN. The 1985 year confirmation comes from: the rustproofing sticker, the engine date, the serial number, and lastly the year of acceptance into the USAF, 1986. Normally the VIN is stamped on a data plate on the dashboard.

Bulletpaluza

How?
Well if you have been digging in the Carnac thread, you will see the serial numbers follow a pattern starting with 03, 04 etc. That is how we know you found the correct stamped VIN. The 1985 year confirmation comes from: the rustproofing sticker, the engine date, the serial number, and lastly the year of acceptance into the USAF, 1986. Normally the VIN is stamped on a data plate on the dashboard.
Will that be a 17 digit number for the VIN or the same matching number that's on the frame? on the dash plate? Will it be it's own plate or possibly be on a plate with other writing? I don't think I am missing a dash plates as there are no extra holes in my dash where a plate would have been. Will it out right say VIN? Sorry for all the questions

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will that be a 17 digit number for the VIN or the same matching number that's on the frame? on the dash plate? Will it be it's own plate or possibly be on a plate with other writing? I don't think I am missing a dash plates as there are no extra holes in my dash where a plate would have been. Will it out right say VIN? Sorry for all the questions
The dash plate would have this stamped on it:
86K1040 0940-10742
The 86K1040 is not part of the VIN. The 17 digit VIN came about after these trucks were built. The DMV will add zeros to your frame stamped number to make it 17 digits.

Bulletpaluza

I think you might find someone around here who can make a new one for you. The serial number on the frame is the truck's VIN - no data plate is ever going to change that as hard as some in the service might've tried!
That would be awesome to get that plate made just to fill the hole.

I'll keep this thread posted on me being able to tag/register this truck.

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks