• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DC Breaker Tripping MEP 002A

Mtnfox62

My breaker pops when I turn the master switch. I've checked the starter and solenoid, Master switch, Turned the flywheel, float switch (whatever that is for) oil pressure switch moving on to the alternator when I found the post 7.5 breaker tripping, great answers (wish the guy would have come back with what he found) anyway I will follow Guyfang's advise but what is the IP solenoid?? maybe the 002A doesn't have one?

thks

Scoobyshep

My breaker pops when I turn the master switch. I've checked the starter and solenoid, Master switch, Turned the flywheel, float switch (whatever that is for) oil pressure switch moving on to the alternator when I found the post 7.5 breaker tripping, great answers (wish the guy would have come back with what he found) anyway I will follow Guyfang's advise but what is the IP solenoid?? maybe the 002A doesn't have one?

thks
Ip solenoid is under the intake cover (undo the latches and flip it open its near the blower wheel looks like a big can.

When exactly is it popping what position on the start switch? Does it instantly do it in that position?

jamawieb

99% of the time its the capacitors on the fuel pumps. Look at the fuel pump and follow the wire out of the pump, it will lead you to the capacitors. They will be mounted next to the pumps, either cylinder type or square. Just cut them out completely, you dont need them. You can test this theory. Unhook all 3 fuel pumps at the connectors. Turn the master switch to prime/run, see if the breaker throws. Then plug in each pump and see when the breaker throws. Thats the pump with the issue.

rickf

Sometimes those breakers just get weak and will trip under very little load. If the pump tests do not show anything you might want to look into replacing the breaker. And the float switch is for the float in the fuel tank that triggers the Aux pump to refill the day tank when running from a 55 gallon drum or auxiliary tank on a trailer.

Scoobyshep

Sometimes those breakers just get weak and will trip under very little load. If the pump tests do not show anything you might want to look into replacing the breaker. And the float switch is for the float in the fuel tank that triggers the Aux pump to refill the day tank when running from a 55 gallon drum or auxiliary tank on a trailer.
I've had 3 failures on them. The way I prove it is replace the breaker with a 7.5 automobile fuse. Beats buying a breaker if you don't need it

Mtnfox62

Ip solenoid is under the intake cover (undo the latches and flip it open its near the blower wheel looks like a big can.

When exactly is it popping what position on the start switch? Does it instantly do it in that position?
Rotation of the master switch to Preheat or Prime Run positions causes instant pop of the 7.5 DC breaker, maybe the breaker is bad I will substitute another car fuse and see if it still fails

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
99% of the time its the capacitors on the fuel pumps. Look at the fuel pump and follow the wire out of the pump, it will lead you to the capacitors. They will be mounted next to the pumps, either cylinder type or square. Just cut them out completely, you dont need them. You can test this theory. Unhook all 3 fuel pumps at the connectors. Turn the master switch to prime/run, see if the breaker throws. Then plug in each pump and see when the breaker throws. Thats the pump with the issue.
This. They are known issues. Very easy to diagnose and fix the problem too.

Mtnfox62

Bam right on the nose..........!! it was capacitor Fuel pump #1 thank you - thank you
So how can you be sure it not the fuel pump? Guess after I cut the wire between I can test to see which is shorted to ground
So I should bypass the capacitor straight to the fuel pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks