• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DC converter wiring

rrrr

I'm thinking about putting in a 12v DC-converter. Where's the best place to tap into the 24v system?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you mean inverter that would give you 117 VAC? Or do you mean a converter to take 24 VDC to 12 VDC?

I have seen people take a plug that fits the slave receptacle to get a 24 VDC feed to inverters and 24 VDC power tools. I personally have a cigar lighter extensiion cord that I removed the plug on and replaced with aligator clips. I run the cord out the door and into the battery compartment and clip onto one of the batteries. When I travel long distances, I plug in my GPS and cell phone charger into the other end.

cyruscat

I just wired in a 24 to 12 volt converter to my Deuce.

Already had main battery/power cutoff switch in battery box, so wired from it to converter then out to separate 6 circuit fuse block for 12 v. only stuff.

Also wired a separate 24v. fuse block for heater , lights, etc.

Both systems share chassis ground on truck frame.

Mounted fuse blocks on inside back wall of glove box and made plastic divider wall in front of it to keep things away from them.

Wanted to keep all add on items off the original truck wiring system as it has no fuses, just a circuit breaker for whole truck.

Working great so far.

rrrr

Yes, I'm referring to 24v down to 12v converter. Just want to know where's the easiest place to tap into under the dash to setup a cig lighter plug for items like cell phones and gps.

cyruscat

Look at the wiring diagrams in the Tech manuals and find a hot wire either before or after power switch. Depends on whether you want hot all the time or only when you have power on.
All wires have a metal tag with number that matchs diagram.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks