• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DDoyle (Straight fender truck)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DDoyle and I have been having a discussion about a m35a2 I have that had gas fenders, gas dash, and a m211 bed. I was going to PM him but tought maybe someone else might want to jump in.
I finally found the frame number. On the drivers side in front of the steering arm. The number is M30341. Can DDoyle or anyone else tell me what this number means?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Think we might have talked about this one (C.R.S.). Here is what I found

X40146 2320 008358464 M35 W/W 30341 4D4373 1954
X40009 2320 000771616 M35A2 32530341 4D68670 1970

Any chance it is either of these. The one was built in 54.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'm not at home, so I am at a bit of a disadvantage trying to chime in here....but I'd say the truck is a 1953-54 model. You say it has a M211 bed - what exactly do you mean by that? M211 and M35 beds are almost identical (but for spare tire carrier and a few other minor details) - do you mean M135 (as in wheel well bed)? If the later, then I suppose its possible the truck was really built ias a M34 - but this is all guessing. The bed should have a data plate on it on the front vertical surface on the driver's side.

Tell us more and we'll try to tell you more.

Best wishes,
David

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Medlog, We did talk about it. I gave you info from the data plate. 04H 36071 / 0525 21986.
DDoyle, When I say m211 bed I mean it looks like the bed on all the m211s I've seen. The plug on the back is mounted to the back of the bed unlike the m35 plug that is inside a hole in the back of the bed. Tailgate is also like a m211. It dosen't have the bracing a m35 tailgate has or the place to mount the rubber bumpers.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Medlog, The one you gave w/w is interesting. The truck is without winch but it has the PTO lever latch in the floorboard and the holes on the front of the frame where the winch extensions would mount appear to have had bolts in them at one time.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
m16ty said:
DDoyle, When I say m211 bed I mean it looks like the bed on all the m211s I've seen. The plug on the back is mounted to the back of the bed unlike the m35 plug that is inside a hole in the back of the bed. Tailgate is also like a m211. It dosen't have the bracing a m35 tailgate has or the place to mount the rubber bumpers.
The bed you describe is correct for the early gas M35 - I have one of these myself.

Pretty much everything you describe matches a 1953-54 Studebaker - except the data plate.

The back of the cab is stamped ever so slightly differently on these trucks as compared to the later trucks - since you have one of each, I suspect that you compare. You can also compare the area where the air filter is mounted - gasser cabs are different than the Multifuel cabs. Also, look above the accelerator pedal - original gassers had a foot starter switch - the hole for which will be covered with a plate when the truck is repowered. If these three areas differ on your two trucks - then I'd say its certain you have a repowered early 1950s gasser - and someone somewhere deliberately swapped the data plates.

HTH,
David Doyle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heres a surefire way to confirm which the frame numbers already did. Check the right rear engine mount. I'll bet lunch it's not hot riveted to the frame. Check that and report back. That mount HAS to be changed when switching from a gasser to a multifuel. My 53 Stude is M30708. Also, you found the numbers exactly where I said they would be. LOL
Kenny (one who repowers gassers).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right about the mount, Kenny. The front crossmember has also been replaced. I had always heard that the registration number stayed the same for the life of the truck but I guess that isn't necessarily so. The truck came from Uncle Sam with "04H 36071" on the data plate and on both doors so it had to have changed at some point.

Guy came by and bought the truck today so I can't tell ya'll any more about it. I almost had a tear in my eye as I saw it drive away. I have bought 3 MVs but this is the first one I've sold.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The registration number does stay with the truck in almost every instance (The M35A3 rebuild is a typical example of the number legitimately changing - it requires that drastic of a rebuild - to legitimately change a registration number requires authority far beyond a unit commander.) NOTHING on your data plate is right with regard to your truck. This is apparent from the wrong vin, and wrong manufacturer - hence, its reasonable to assume that the registration number is wrong too.

SOMEBODY - apparently a GI - decided that they wanted to switch the identities on this truck. The VIN number stamped in the frame can't reasonably be changed - but changing the data plates and the numbers on the door takes ten minutes - and how many peope are gonna look at the frame??? You didn't until you got curious about the history - and PFC Snuffy isn't gonna be that curious.

Someone else (Medlog, E22) may offer conjecture as to why someone would want to swap identiities - my guess was that the real 04H36071 was a piece of crap and someone wanted to turn it in - M30341 was a good truck - but its age may have made it a mandatory turn in......six screws, eight decals and ten minutes this problem is solved.

Wet the hood, and run your hands along the edges and you should be able to find the registration number that was painted on it in 1954 (under multiple coats of paint (unless the hood has been changed) - you can try the same on the center of the tailgate, but they get a lot ore abuse and are harder to find.

04H 36071 was the registration number assigned to a 1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with the VIN 0525 21986 stamped in the frame rails.

That someone deliberately swapped truck identities is very interesting - and makes one wonder what is "the rest of the story".

Regards,
David

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Actually I can think of 41,822 reasons why a person would change the numbers. Loose a truck at the port or someone else has a better one than yours, a dozen screws and you're done. Happens more often than you think.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DDoyle, The guy I sold the truck to lives just down the road. You've got me curious so I may stop buy and check the hood.

Medlog, I'm assuming you don't have any info on M30341 or you would have already posted it. I'm just curious when it disappeared or there may be another truck out there with M30341 on the data plate. If there is they better check their frame number. I've got a pretty good idea of what it will be.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Aren't you glad you jumped into the "big" trucks? You have turned yourself into a real life Nancy Drew!

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess you're right , Gimpy. Now that you mention it my m715 has kind of been a stepchild since I got into the deuces. May have to go out to the shed tomorrow and show it some love :wink: .

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I ride with the top down tomorrow all I'll need is cream. It will turn to ice soon enough! Maybe you can deliver some in your ice cream truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks