• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead batteries after removing dash and fuel gauge?

FridgeBrilliance

Yes. I searched.

So about 4 days ago I removed the dash, as I am working on a new one. I figured I would let the M1009 run for a while today so I went out and started it (voltmeter was not connected) and got nothing, noticed that Gen 1 was pretty dim. Connected voltmeter, got even less.

I am wondering if having the fuel gauge and voltmeter disconnected caused some kind of battery drain? Truck has sat plenty longer with the dash intact and never had any problems.

So, I am wondering, what bonehead move did I pull this time?

cpf240

Were the batteries disconnected when you removed the dash? It is very easy to short out the terminals on the back of the volt meter. Perhaps a fuse or link blew?

Are the blackout lights on? They can drain the batteries over several days, and they are darn hard to notice in the daylight.

Has it been cold there? Perhaps the batteries are getting old and don't like being ignored and out in the cold? :D

Other than that, I can't see anything that would cause a drain as described.

FridgeBrilliance

Were the batteries disconnected when you removed the dash? It is very easy to short out the terminals on the back of the volt meter. Perhaps a fuse or link blew?

Are the blackout lights on? They can drain the batteries over several days, and they are darn hard to notice in the daylight.

Has it been cold there? Perhaps the batteries are getting old and don't like being ignored and out in the cold? :D

Other than that, I can't see anything that would cause a drain as described.
No, they weren't disconnected, but the voltmeter had a quick disconnect fitting on it, and nothing touched anything metal to metal.

No on the blackouts as well.

I will stick the batteries on the charger tomorrow (sucks that my scummy 4-plex has no garage and no external AC. Have to leave the door open to run the extension cord and its far too cold for that) and see what happens.

If the voltmeter did short for some reason, it would just be a fuse like you said right? Still weird in that case that the starter would even try.