• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead battery meets rubber hammer

Mbsk01

First off, BIG thanks to OPCOM for posting this in the first place, it really does work.

Recovered my first MV Friday, an M35 out of Little Rock. Once on site, the GL rep jumped it via slave cable to another M35. Truck fired up, but it had no lights, gauges, etc. Drove it from Little Rock back to almost Dallas blind. It was a pretty uneventful trip.

Saturday, started to try and diagnose the truck. Assumed the alternator was the problem, but I might as well remove the batteries and have them tested. Auto Zone said they needed to be charged to get an accurate test. At that point, I noticed how low the batteries were on water, so I topped them off (almost 3/4gal). Left them at the Zone to be charged. Came back 3 hours later, and they told me the batteries were no good, dead cells.

So, Saturday evening I'm searching the forums here looking for battery solutions and I read this post from OPCOM about beating the snot out of the sides of batteries to knock the sulfates loose. So I grabbed my rubber mallet and beat the daylights out of them. As I was doing this, I could hear sizziling inside the battery.

So Sunday I take the batteries to O'Reilly to have them checked. They throw the tester on them then tell me the batteries are good. :grin:

Just to double check, I took them back to Auto Zone, same result. I bring them back home, install in the Deuce, and it fires right up. Lights and gauges were all back to working.

So, before you throw out batteries, beat them first. It just might work.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tip, I have a couple I can try that on. I usually get the batteries with split cases and bulges.

Blood_of_Tyrants

While it could work, it could also break loose some of the lead and cause them to short out the plates. But if the battery is no good, it couldn't hurt.

BTW, remember to ONLY use distilled water in batteries.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This trick has saved us many times on the ship far from resupply.

kaiser2help

While slow charging my batteries over a couple of days I walk by frequently and pick them up about one foot off the ground and then I drop one at a time. A concrete floor usually does the trick. This will also knock off the warm and slightly softened sulfation.

wdbtchr

As my daddy used to tell me, "I can fix anything if I've got a big enough hammer!" :razz: or, "Hand me the BFH ( big f**#ing hammer).":roll: I got one I'm gonna try it on right now.:hammer:

skytroop232

Perfect timing on this subject, I was just coming on to find out what replacement batteries to get and here I get to beat on my existing ones. Out friggin standing, I'll post how it goes. My batteries are in perfect condition except they are dead.

Bob

kaiser2help

Oh I forgot too mention before, Twisted Tea's, 3 rum & cokes later. I broke my battery case and when I took my clothes out of the washing machine, there were holes everywhere. Alcohol and acid do not mix.

jjfricko

can you do this to batterys that do not have a place to fill it with distilled water? meaning can i do this to one of my marine batterys?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am glad to have been of service and passed on an old bit of knowledge from grandpa. He used to beat them all over, but that was likely back in the days when they were built stouter. I would avoid hitting the ends too dang hard so as not to bend or compact the plates, but they still need good whacking. The sides however are fair game. I am not sure it makes the sulfates fall off, but just cracks them so the battery can be recharged and the sulfates can then dissolve away as they should. I suppose I should say never do it with a charged battery due to the possibility of a short and explosion, He always beat them while dead then tried to charge them. Also I disclaim all liability for everything from the beginning of time until the end of time.