• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dead fuel gauge

alm0263

Ive got an 84 m1009 with a dead fuel gauge. I would like to buy an autometer gauge to replace it, has anyone done this before, and has some tips? does anyone know if the fuel sender is 0-90 ohm like the rest of the gm vehicles? or if it is something different? all help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

autometer sport comp 2 1/6 mechanical fuel level gauge is the one ive got my eye on

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You had better test your sending unit, it may be your problem. Have you looked in the TM for the test procedure and specs?

HAWKMAN

Get a hose and clean off the top of the fuel tank you may find that your ground has rusted off causing the dead gauge. My2cents worth

NJCOP35

I can't get my gauge to go past 1/4 tank with a full tank, but once I run it down it starts working form 1/4 tank to empty? any ideas on that one? could it be the ground also? any ideas?

ida34

Sending unit. The fuel gauge is just a resistance meter. The sending unit is a variable resister. Yours is not making contact above 1/4 tank. You can take it out and check the resistance in different positions. The manual procedure involves grounding the lead to the sending unit. The gauge should beg full and when disconnected it should go back to empty. I think the full resistance value is 200 ohm IIRC.

HAWKMAN

To get to the sending unit you have to drop the tank which can be a handful if you have never done this before and you may also inadvertantly remove some rust that has been keeping the tank sealed causing a leak....I've had a couple trucks come in that had a panel cut in the cargo area to gain access to the unit but that's up to you. hope all works out for you:-D

GreenBull

Testing the circuit is simple. The sending unit resistance is 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full.

Disconnect the sending unit. Expected result with key on is gauge reads past full.

Probe circuit (gauge side) with a normal automotive test light. Expected result with key on is a light that is somewhat dimmer than full intensity and a gauge reading somewhere between full and empty. This will vary based on the test light used.

Ground the sending unit circuit (gauge side). Expected result with key on is a gauge reading empty.

If testing leads you to a gauge or circuit problem don't overlook corrosion or poor contact at the clusters printed circuit, harness terminals, or gauge posts as a cause.

Good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks