• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Horse Issue: Tires

I did a search, but never found a good answer. I am likely getting an M1008 and am wondering what tire size will fit stock and give the best fuel mileage? I'm looking for a tall and narrow size for winter use, that will up the mileage.

jimmy-90

I am running 34x10.50-16" super swamper LTB's on my M1028 with no lift or fender trimming. They work well and do not rub when the wheels are turned all the way. Even when driving off road. They do pretty good in deep snow but not so good on ice. Also I don't think you could go any bigger than that without rubbing especially if you used wider tires like 35x12 or 35x14's. Im not sure how much more milage I picked up by useing taller tires but it did increase my top speed. My truck runs decent at 55 mph but I still wouldn't try to do 65 mph in it. Hope this helps.

I'm running 9.00 x r16 (about 36" 10.5") with no lift and some front fender trimming. I'm locked in, in the snow over 6 months a year, and it's my DD.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a search, but never found a good answer. I am likely getting an M1008 and am wondering what tire size will fit stock and give the best fuel mileage? I'm looking for a tall and narrow size for winter use, that will up the mileage.

I like my 255/85-16 BFG Mud Terrains. That size is still available in the newer model tire. Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 | BFGoodrich Tires

They require no modification to the truck at all.

Attachments

rlwm211

I have a Suburban with the same size rims and in the same weight class. I plowed snow for many years and the best tire for traction in snow, on highway, or other roadways is the 235R85-16 series. It is narrow enough to get the tread down onto the roadway, or driveway, or dirt road. I found this size superior to the 265r75-16 and 245r75-16 and the extra ground clearance is nice to have.

If you are heading off road, then it is a new ball game and I really do not have a good suggestion for you.

All in all, I drove a lot on unplowed roads and in deep snow getting to a couple of places I plowed and the idea you stated in the original post is the best if that is what you are going to do too.

Hope this helps

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks