• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Pedal,?????

wcuhillbilly

Ok,,, so I finally got the duel fuel mod done on the 816, and combined with the turbo and the #17 fuel button, I can say Wow! its still a big fat pig and slow moving but I have never been able to hold 4th or 5th gear like this before.

I have one concern. I am getting Dead Pedal, and Maybe Im just taching out, (tach cable broke about a month ago, ordering one today.) Last nite I got the call to go winch a hunter with his 3/4 ton truck and 60s era teardrop POS trailer back up on the road. By the time I got there with the 1 ton and the Warn,,, The "good Samaritan gang" had stuck again. He was buried up to the frame on a 45* angle and wedged up against a tree. Doubled and slingshotted the Warn on the 1 ton, and managed to blow the clutches out of the Warn. Ok,, off to get the 816.
Enroute, as I havent driven it since the finish of the dual fuel mod. I noticed primarily in 3rd gear that it would rap out to 3/4 throttle then the engine would basically de-fuel or dead pedal. If I was on the threshold of that zone it would lurch and chug. If I shifted up to 4th, of course it would bog untill it crept up to speed. I just modified my driving to stay out of that range untill the job was done but it did worry me that something was up. I hope Im just taching out and not hurting anything, yet wont really know untill the new tach cable gets here...(side note. I need one about 3" longer due to the watercooled intake being HUGE)...

Side note,,, Fuel lines from Tank and selector valve are parker/pushlocks, Yes the old steel are gone except the return side....

Does anyone know a good spin on fuel filter convers for the fuel....????????

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did you loose shims when you installed the button? I did the first time around and was only able to clear 1600rpm at speed in my truck. Without having a tach, it's anyone's guess what's going on though.

wcuhillbilly

The original was a 37 button with only one tiny washer under it with the tiny spring in the barrel assembly. The 17 was from a junk pump on a scrap 350 small cam I got in a trade. So I put the 17 in the running engine in the same configuration as the 37 with the single washer, all other spacers were retained in the stock configuration. the 17 upon removal from the junk pump had 3 tiny washers behind it..... Waiting on the tach cable to make some more tests.
Whole story can be found on the 5 ton hot rodding section "816 Jakes and Turbo" on the last page.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea check when you get new cable as for the defuel yep that's all it does just drops off no jumping bumping or jerking just feels like it's a dead peddle. Also you can shim to 2300/2400 but you do not have to ever wind her out that far but when you need 2100 rpm it will not defuel from what I have been reading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks