• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dead Pilot's M38a1

Dead pilot

I ended up with a new rescue this month. Got my hands on pretty clean 52 M38a1. Looks like someone started to restore but stopped. All the major parts, very little rust and the engine is free. Won't know if she starts up till I can clean out the fuel system. Going to go through all the brakes and axles and service them. Then fix the few wiring issues.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I ended up with a new rescue this month. Got my hands on pretty clean 52 M38a1. Looks like someone started to restore but stopped. All the major parts, very little rust and the engine is free. Won't know if she starts up till I can clean out the fuel system. Going to go through all the brakes and axles and service them. Then fix the few wiring issues.

Wow! It looks for the most part that it is unmolested...
Congratulations on getting it onto a trailer and to your place.

canadacountry

not to cause anyone to laugh but I sure hope that thing will get one or better two cushion pads before it ever gets driven anywhere!
me can't help thinking what would happen to your poor "pulverized" kidney if you try drive that thing like it is now!!

DeetFreek

Is the builder plate still on the sponson behind the driver seat? Will have paint all over it. This has the serial no on it.
I sure hope you meant passenger seat. 😉

Nice score!

Dead pilot

And today was a set back. Rear hubs don't want to come off. They spin so I know the shoes aren't stuck but no luck with the hub puller. Pulled the drum off and pulled out the brake parts out. Used a slide hammer to see if it would move and nothing. So I'm stuck for now.

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool acquisition! Keep the mis-match paint! Shows character. A lot of the pieces looks nicely original and usable / re-storable.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
And today was a set back. Rear hubs don't want to come off. They spin so I know the shoes aren't stuck but no luck with the hub puller. Pulled the drum off and pulled out the brake parts out. Used a slide hammer to see if it would move and nothing. So I'm stuck for now.

Try adjusting the shoes in on the rear axle.
You may have a set of drums that are worn and they won't slide off over the shoes.

Dead pilot

So, you had no shoes on the back of the truck?
It had shoes and everything in the drum and it all was free and moving. Don't know if the wheel cylinders were any good though. I was able to pull the 3 screws on the drum and drum came off the hub with no issue. The hub just won't come off the axle shaft

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It had shoes and everything in the drum and it all was free and moving. Don't know if the wheel cylinders were any good though. I was able to pull the 3 screws on the drum and drum came off the hub with no issue. The hub just won't come off the axle shaft

Possibly start using PB Blaster or WD-40 or whatever your favorite penetrating oil is.
I also wonder (memory is failing me) if you need to remove a clip on each axle - inside the "pan" on the rear axle...

Dead pilot

Possibly start using PB Blaster or WD-40 or whatever your favorite penetrating oil is.
I also wonder (memory is failing me) if you need to remove a clip on each axle - inside the "pan" on the rear axle...
Unless I missed something in the TM I didn't see anything about the other end of the axle to remove the hub. It just say to remove the wheel, dust cap, cotter pin then the nut. Then use hub puller and comes right off. But mine doesn't pop right off.
The odd thing is the pads and hardware look new but the wheel cylinders were old. So I have no idea. It's soaking now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks