• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deadman ideas?

mtech

Anyone have a good design for a winch deadman? Have searched the web, only to find a couple ideas. Would like to come up with something that is portable and doesn't weigh as much as the deuce.

mtech

Thats the one I have been looking at, definately will build one before paying those prices. Just wanted to see what other ideas are out there or maybe what the guys on this site do when another truck or large enough tree is not available.

oilcan

How's about a picket line? I saw it in an off road mag years ago, but put together for a much smaller truck. Basically, it's a real long tow strap with a whole bunch of loops sewn into it to accept stakes. You drive the stakes in the ground in a straight line and presto. I don't know how you'd set it up for something this heavy, though.

You could always bury your spare tire... (That made my back hurt just typing it)

nickd

Why not use wrecker spades? I mounted a set of pockets from a wrecker under the frame in the front and removed the bumperettes to make room for a pair in the back.

mtech

nickd,
thats a good idea for holding a truck for winching something else. But, what about when you are stuck and there nothing to tie to so you can pull yourself out?

FrankUSMC

The Marines had a deadman for there winch trucks. My friend down the road has some, or part of it. It is a spike, about 4 feet long, there is also a plate? part that attaches to the spike. He told me they were issued with the trucks that had winches. When they got rid of them, he took the spike parts. I have one, or two here.
My friend joined the Marines in June 0f 1941, and spent over 30 years keeping the wolf away from the door.
One of the few, Frank

mtech

FrankUSMC,

Would you be able to supply a couple of pics, or maybe point in the direction of the proper TM?
Thanks for the input.
Josh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks