• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dealing with a wreck

cliffyp

Well the unfortunate happened. My 1028 is not so happy. I was rear ended on my way home from work. I left work just before 2 am, bars close at 2 here. I was in a 30 mph zone going between 25-30. I was slammed into by a car that was estimated by several witnesses to be traveling over 80 mph.

The truck took it pretty well, all things considered. It looks like the impact was from about the pintle hitch and on to the right. It rolled my bumper under and lifted the right rear corner of the bed. The bed itself doesn't look damaged. It's too dark to see what's really going on under the truck. I'll post pictures of the truck tomorrow when I wake up and feel like getting out of bed. I can see that there was some contact with the right side shock and spring perch. I think this shifted my axle on the right side forward just slightly. I was able to drive the truck home about 20 miles. At 40 it felt fine, but if I got up over that then it started to shimmy a bit. I can see that the frame is bent/cracked where the bumper and pintle connections are, it doesn't look like the frame has any other damage.

There wasn't anything left of the car in front of its windshield, engine and all, gone. Eye witnesses said it had flames coming out after the impact as is skidded down the road another 50 yards or so. The impact lifted my rear end and turn me 45 deg so I went across on coming traffic, fortunately there was none, and I ended up and over the curb on that side of the road. My tailgate is covered in a mix of oil and coolant. The back of my head decided to remove my rear glass, that isn't the way the TM's state to remove it and it doesn't feel very good. The driver of the car was arrested on the spot and incredibly didn't seem injured. His passenger left in an ambulance because her legs were messed up from their dash coming in. As of now I don't know if he was insured or not. I have to call the officer tomorrow to get the report number and start the fun of trying to get my truck fixed.

I'm home and in bed now, 5 am. I'll try and get some shots of the truck tomorrow, for now ill just leave you with the back of my head
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375524892.718383.jpg

RAYZER

Sorry to hear about your miss fortune. I hope the other guy has insurance to cover everything.
Your going to be sore tomorrow!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing worse than getting rear ended when you don't expect it.

Maybe the other guy will get the same(in jail).

A bit of advise, write a daily diary for the next month. Write what and how you feel every 4-6 hours. Neck and back injuries can take time to be fully realized from this type of accident.

Seek and follow medical help if you feel pain.

I hope you recover fully and quickly.

MarcusOReallyus

Been there, done that, got the medical bills to prove it. Got a truck totaled out from under me, and I totaled the car in front of me, too, and I was stopped dead about 2 car lengths behind her. I had internal bruising from my own seatbelt - that's how hard I hit her. I was removed on a backboard, got to be the star of the afternoon traffic reports.

Forget about checking out the truck today. You are going to be hurting. You are going to be hurting even more tomorrow. Get checked out by a doctor even if you don't think you need to. You almost certainly have damage you don't know about, and even if you're okay, your lawyer needs the documentation. Doghead's advice about the diary is RIGHT ON THE MONEY.

Don't be a nice guy. Find a rabid pit bull on steroids as your lawyer. A big name firm is best - one the other side will know about by reputation. This paid off for me quite well in another accident a few years later. Wish I had known it for the first one.

Mine was more than 25 years ago, and I still hurt from it. I got less than my truck was worth (your lawyer won't do much about that part - it will be up to you), and got a couple of grand for a lifetime of pain. If I had had a decent lawyer, I would have gotten a lot more, and I should have. I have paid out far more than what I got in chiropractors to keep me going, and that's not counting any compensation for the things I can't do anymore. It will only get worse as I get older, of course.

Lots of vitamin C for the next few days. It really helps with muscle soreness. Take it easy for a few days. Get well. :beer:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope and pray that things get better for you. Glad you are ALIVE and you were able to walk/drive away! Can't say it better than it already has been. Take care of yourself, they surely aren't going too unless you force them.

God bless,
Tony

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marcus and Doghead are right on - Go get checked out medically and be on the alert for delayed symptoms. Happened to me. And get lawyered up too!

I bought a immaculate M1031 that had been hit hard in the same place. The frame was bent under the back of the cab on the right side. The truck was not fixable.

goldneagle

I agree with doghead about everything he said except the comment about rear ending (jail) I think that was uncalled for in a FAMILY site! (your rules not mine)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about that. I have had that happen 4 times, once the guy launched into me in a McDonald's drive thru.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i hope you are not down for long and you have no neck injuries.. trucks are replaceable so your lucky i think.. good luck

kerismo

Glad you are well eneough to get home....but please go Get your head checked, even not so hard hits to the brain bucket can have internal injuries...grey matter sloshes around easily.
I see young people everyday who are "fine" but after getting checked are glad they came in and saw us.

o1951

Glad you have a hard head! Take care of yourself first- Truck can be fixed or if necessary, replaced. That put quite a jolt on your neck - I agree with everyone - start seeing MD's. Worst of neck injury may not show up for quite some time. Take Care

wayne pick

Wow Cliff. As stated, put the truck aside for now. It is very important to make sure you don't have any concussion symptoms. You may want to sleep more often, and slurred speech and short term memory loss are just a few symptoms. I have had a few, and after seeing what has happened to former NFL players, I am not comfortable with it. Take it slow, and re group.

MartinB

Be proactive. See a doctor NOW to get a baseline assessment of your physical condition. Then keep a journal as others have stated to see how your injuries go. If an insurance adjuster calls, he will most likely ask you how you are. DON'T say fine. Ask who it is and who he is representing. When he says he is from an insurance company or adjuster, hang up and get an attorney. Don't play into the insurance companies hands. They have much deeper pockets. If you do get an attorney, Follow his instructions EXACTLY. Do not talk to the ins co.

davidhdale

sorry to hear that you need to get checked out .unless you are saying you are hard headed , with that said man hope you are feeling better the truck will be fixed or replace where you can not .so take care of your self if you need anything just let me know

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone asks (esp on the phone) you are having terrible headaches, your back and neck are sore and stiff, and you have occasional shooting pains in your extremities. Ask the doctor for both a neck brace and a back brace and wear them, all the time! You have received some serious injuries that will take time to manifest themselves, be proactive in dealing with them and that will make your recovery faster.

o1951

Be proactive. See a doctor NOW to get a baseline assessment of your physical condition. Then keep a journal as others have stated to see how your injuries go. If an insurance adjuster calls, he will most likely ask you how you are. DON'T say fine. Ask who it is and who he is representing. When he says he is from an insurance company or adjuster, hang up and get an attorney. Don't play into the insurance companies hands. They have much deeper pockets. If you do get an attorney, Follow his instructions EXACTLY. Do not talk to the ins co.
Excellent advice! I would avoid talking to them - they will twist what you say and use it against you. Know someone it happened to. How are you doing??? Were you able to take a better look at you truck? DOES THE AT FAULT PARTY HAVE INSURANCE?