• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Death Wobble" still out here

SmokeyDod

Ref: "Death Wobble" I've seen several and mostly varried answers to this problem. I have had M1008,09,1028 ,1010 for last 2-3 years. Right now I have 2 M1008 & 2 M1028 and 2 M1031 (called shop truck)with the 15KVA belt driven gen. (205 trans case) 1 M1010 I have had this problem on almost all of them. A temp fix is new steering stab. shock on front but give it a while and same "shaking" problem.
Does anyone know what GM has to say about it? Some of these trucks only have less than 30K miles so I wouldn't think parts should have worn out that quick. I am at a loss to figure out what's going on. HELP> Thanks Smokey

CCATLETT1984

pull the top covers off the kingpins, you can usually put a flat washer or two in teh top of the cap to increase the pressure on the spring, but thats a temporary fix. the best way to fix it is to get the kingpin rebuild kit and replace the nylon bushing that rides on the kingpin and the sping as well.

SmokeyDod

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. My almost daily driven 1028 I have 4" lift and the 37" radials and of course the 2-1/2" spacer block. I hope it works. My M1010 only has 21K on it & I got it at 15K and it did same thing. Just don't understand how they could get worn. Maybe its the comp. spring just sitting for years and it could lose some of its "bounce back" ability. I will try it & let you know.

swyne

I had an "80 GMC 1/2 Civvy truckl. That when driving along at around 30 here in the city, and you would hit a pot hole just right it would send you off trying regain control. It felt like the 2 front wheels were on w/1 lug nut each(loosely). You would have to jam on the brakes, slow the vehicle down in which slows the wobbling down. It ended up being drag link and pitman arm. Not sure if you have the same type suspension set up. I also had the "camper special" What a real gem that was, but it ran.

sweetk30

ditch the lift block get a drop arm. then install new springs/bushings and add 1 washer if need be. i have never added washers. just changed springs and bushings. the springs sag out bad . i have pulled some out with 1/4" sag over new springs.

most places online will sell you 1/2 kits. for just a refresh of the top half with out king pin for 20-25 bucks. plus shipping per side.

SmokeyDod

I've never seen a drop arm for Dana 60 . I have for dana 44 or chev 10 bolt but all the M-series trucks are the Dana 60s . Only the M1009 has the 10 bolt front.
Has anyone any information if GM has addressed this problem? i.e. articles or recalls ??????

Armada

At 4" of lift, you should have some bump steer as well. That may be some of your problem? Sway bar drop brackets will eliminate that if you haven't put them on already.

AJMBLAZER

These things had crappy steering when stock.

Just from my experience...how's the condition of the tires? I had some 36x12.5-16.5 HMMWV tires on my 1008 and got death wobble bad...ditched them for some 11.00R16 Michelins and it's smooth as silk. Others have reported that as well, the tires causing death wobble.

These trucks NEED ORD's steering box brace. Also the hot new mod is the Jeep Cherokee XJ steering shaft replacement. Gets rid of the crappy rag joint in our steering shafts and firms up the steering. I'm currently working on finding one for Big Ugly. I put the Michelins on at the same time as the steering box brace but I can say it has a firmer feel to it now than it did before.

truck0590

I have a M1031 Contact truck as well and I assume the "death wobble" is the same thing I'm experiencing. Sometimes while driving the truck starts to shake and buck like a bronco like everything is falling apart. I thought it was the steering box because it was loose and it went away after I tightened it up. However it has come back and everything seems tight.

Truck

ptg530C

1. drag link 2.If you put oversize tires and rims on that vehicle, you stress the frame at the steering box. Any type of "boxing" or other reinforcement is not a smart thing to do. The frame will torque wherever the reinforcement terminates.

AJMBLAZER

ptg530C said:
2.If you put oversize tires and rims on that vehicle, you stress the frame at the steering box. Any type of "boxing" or other reinforcement is not a smart thing to do. The frame will torque wherever the reinforcement terminates.
You sure of this? :roll:

chevycrew

AJMBLAZER said:
ptg530C said:
2.If you put oversize tires and rims on that vehicle, you stress the frame at the steering box. Any type of "boxing" or other reinforcement is not a smart thing to do. The frame will torque wherever the reinforcement terminates.
You sure of this? :roll:

Wonder why they work so good then? I would rather add the brace that is designed to cure the problem than have a broken frame...

AJMBLAZER

Yeah...all those folks reinforcing and bracing their frame rails to stop the twisting must just be silly.

Heck, those folks that box their frame rails must be out of their minds silly...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks