• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Decals or Paint

tklm539

I need a little advice. I am picking up my first deuce in the next several weeks. To pass what seems like forever, I have been planning for a summer worth of projects. I know that I am going to return the truck to Vietnam era OD green (semi gloss). My question is should I be painting stars and numbers or go with decals. My biggest concern is that the decals are going to peal off in a short time.

Any advice would be great,

Tom

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been contemplating the same question. the decals are cheaper but the colors are limited. I wanted OD green decals but the samples I got are forest green and shiny. I'm pretty sure I have to go with stencils. Too bad they are a one shot deal.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go with stencils. More original, and I worry that too many decals would look like you bought a GI Joe toy and completed the stickers on them. I also worry about adhesion issues with the decals, especially if you surface is not completely smooth, or you put them on in humid weather.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
do the stencils

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Self-adhesive letters, numbers, and stars were authorized by the Army in the 1960s - so either paint or adhesive letters are "correct". I've used both - and the paint weathers better (my trucks live outside). In either event, study the appropriate manual before ordering the stencils or lettering - the correct style is not what many people "think" it is.

Best wishes,
David

Armada

David, when the Army authorized the use of self adhesive numbers/letters/stars, seems like I read where the vehicle had to be marked in one or the other, paint or decal, and not a combination of both. Is that true?

N1265

I would go with stencils If the truck was ment to be in the field. I dont remember ever seeing a field truck with vinal lettering.

But I have seen pleanty of " base " trucks / cars with them....

Just a thought.

67Beast

Concern on decal peeling shouldn't be that big of a deal. Most commercial grade marking vinyl is rated at 7 years,and I have a sign on the front of my shop that's been up outdoors for 15 years and the decals look as good as the day it was hung up. I've had the decal markings on my M715 since 2004 without any problems.

Armada is correct I read in a manual somewhere about not mixing the types of markings on the vehicles. Either all paint or all decal. Now that doesn't mean that once a vehicle was in the field that mixing didn't happen.

I prefer decals because they have such a clean look on the truck. Remember that vehicles from the 50's and 60's were marked at the factory except for the bumper #s and unit #s. They were not hastily marked like during wartime in the 40's so they are clean and sharply applied. Stencils for me just don't deliever that clean crisp look. Maybe if I was trying to show a beat up vehicle that had been sloppily repainted in the field would they look OK to me.

Just my 2 cents, I prefer decals. That's why I make decal kits for members. http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

devilman96

Have a sign shop cut everything in vinyl and reverse "weed" it for a stencil... Apply with soap and water, remove the mask and then paint, let it tack up and pull the vinyl off.... Perfect painted on lettering every time!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopics

Let's see some samples, please, I think stencils work well, somehow decals look "cheap". Just IMHO....
How do you get a decal for a (subdued) black star?

67Beast

cranetruck said:
nopics

Let's see some samples, please, I think stencils work well, somehow decals look "cheap". Just IMHO....
How do you get a decal for a (subdued) black star?
Simple just cut the decals on flat black material. I haven't yet cut a set in flat black for anyone, but I have done some sets in flat white instead of the standard semi-gloss white. As for pic just go here to my site to see pics of decals on vehicles. http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

houdel

Many places, like Lowes and most craft shops, sell stencil adhesive in a spray can. You apply it to the BACK of the stencil, position the stencil where you want it, spray your marking color, then peel the stencil off. Gives a perfect paint stenciling job, no fuzzy lines where the paint undersprays the stencil, no "G.I. Joe" decal look. Not that I object to decals, I just prefer the look of painted markings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks