• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dechrome and or paint locking hubs

Maggie86M1008

I just got some brand new Warn locking hubs for my m1008. Is there a way to dechrome and/or paint these? They stick out really bad against the Army green of my truck. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scuff the chrome with scotch-brite and pain flat black.

Paint a red line like the original military paint job. (if desired)

cucvrus

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ad-gasket-head-or-change-engine-survey/page21

POST 201. I use a little more aggressive method than scuffing. I disassemble the hubs and use the 30 2" rotary pads to get down to the copper layer below the chrome. Use a good etching primer and final coat in the desired color. Allow coats to dry before applying an additional coat. I will say they won't chip. But that is hard to say depending on use. I also have changed the new parts into the old painted hubs or used the old hub outer knobs/ covers on new Warn inner hub bodies. What ever works for you. Good Luck. Have a Happy Holiday. Be Safe.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A coat of zinc chromate will etch into the chrome and provide a great base
for paint.
It’s available in rattle cans