• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Decisions on M1008

DooDooBrown

I am considering converting to 12 volt.

I am having ALT problems on my M1008. I bought a new ALT of ebay and installed it on the passenger side. I checked out the drivers side and all is well. I am having a similar experience to this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/50779-new-alternator-now-doest-start.html. The ALT is from the same ebay seller. I am thinking just to go ahead and do the conversion.

My starter has been swapped out a year ago and is already 12V.

Any advise on the pros and minuses? The end state would be a reliable, simple vehicle that I can get parts at from any local auto place.

4bogginchevys

before you go making big changes in the electrical engineering of the truck you should probably fix it in it's current condition.....I didn't read the link you posted but I cant think of any good reason to convert to 12v because of a simple alt issue.....2cents

Edit: I read the link. Can you switch the alts so that the Iso- alt is on the pass side/non iso-alt on driver side? If not you can aquire another failed alt with iso-stuff from a member here and insert necassary parts. I'm really just saying that when an electrical system has a problem it is the worst time to re-engineer it. Good Luck

Last edited:

DooDooBrown

before you go making big changes in the electrical engineering of the truck you should probably fix it in it's current condition.....I didn't read the link you posted but I cant think of any good reason to convert to 12v because of a simple alt issue.....2cents
I can agree with that. The jest of the link is that the supplier on ebay is not isolating the ground. Isolation the ground on the passenger side will fix the current problem.

I read the boards here and have been around these trucks at work and it just seems that there is always problems centering around the charging system. There has to be a better solution in simplifying it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks