• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Decontaminating Apparatus M17 MCHF fuel question

mibugnu

Hello again. I have a few more questions about the decon unit I just bought. This unit is the "heavy fuel" unit which according to the operators manual runs on either JP-5 or JP-8 fuel for both the pump engine (along with 2 stroke oil) and the heater.

I have seen the question on the internet many times about using JP-8 instead of #2 Diesel (military uses JP-8 in all their land based diesel vehicles), but nothing on using #2 diesel on a motor set up for JP-8.

I learned that JP-8 has less lubricating properties than diesel does and that additives are added to the JP-8 that runs in diesel engines to account for that.

1st question...Can I run diesel in this engine? Question 2...If running #2 diesel in it, is more lubrication a bad thing? (along with the 2 stroke oil)

I am assuming I still need to run the 2 stoke oil because there isn't anything else to lubricate the bearings and other internals of the motor.

Never saw a 2 stroke diesel motor!

Thanks

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck I had to google it and yes after looking at our motor to night they are the multi fuel. Think I might try kerosene first. I just broke mine out of the crate and covered it up. Your post has me rewrighting my post and googleing it. Thanks
I still think we just add 2 cycle oil to the 2 cycle tank and then burn what you will.http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=232&pos=1&pid=57284

Last edited:

mibugnu

Heck I had to google it and yes after looking at our motor to night they are the multi fuel. Think I might try kerosene first. I just broke mine out of the crate and covered it up. Your post has me rewrighting my post and googleing it. Thanks
I still think we just add 2 cycle oil to the 2 cycle tank and then burn what you will.http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=232&pos=1&pid=57284
Did you find your technical manual CD? My decon unit came with the tech manual/user manual. I found it today while checking the unit out. I found it in the storage area below where the main fuel can sits. The older units that you had to pre-mix the 2 stroke oil for were unleaded fuel for the pump motor and pretty much anything that was flammable for the heater. The newer style with the 2 stroke oil tank and the oil injection system (sounds like what you have also) isn't a multi fuel system for the pump motor (unless you consider JP-5 and JP-8 "different" types of fuels). JP-5 and JP-8 are the only fuels listed for both the pump motor and the burner. I can try to send you the files if you can't find your CD.

FloridaAKM

It looks like I need to go back & look thru the unit I got & see if a CD came with it. During the uncrating & storing process, it seems I probably have overlooked it, even though everything had to be removed from the metal storage locker to move it. It's not the first time I missed a CD stored on a piece of military equipment. Thanks for the heads up.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No CD. Reading on line the 2 stroke oil is for the engine bearings. Yea would be nice to have a copy of that CD. Also on line found a number for parts maybe.

sergio pincivero

Greetings all..I just joined this website. I recently purchased the M17. Got it running. Still learning about it. First thing I did was bring my cd to Office depot and had the manuals printed. The operators manual at 130 pages cost $18 in spiral bound. The Maintenance manual at over 300 pages was $50.00 split into two spiral bound copies. So easy to find your information. Don't now if I will keep this machine. More comfortable with my Hotsy machine. Has anyone done any heavy cleaning with this unit?

SD T16

Hi,

My friend just dropped off his Brand spankin new unit at my toy shed. We've started to go through it and there is no manual or cd or anything. Is it possible to for one of you with the CD to burn a copy or email it ?

sderen@mac.com

Thanks!

Sean

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks