• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deep Ford Kit

gcbennet

My truck is ex-USMC thus has the deep ford kit installed. However, while conducting maintenance I have noticed that some of the tubing appears to not be connected and I don't know if bits of the system are missing entirely or even routed correctly. For example, the vent/deep ford lever on the fire wall has two plastic tubes and a rubber hose coming off of it. Both plastic tubes run along the ledge above the firewall towards the air cleaner assy. One is connected to a tee but the other is not connected to anything. As well, the rubber hose coming off of the bottom of the valve is about 2 1/2 feet long and not connected to anything either. A search couldn't locate an obvious connection point. The maintenance TM's seem fairly vague so I was wondering where one could find detailed info about the deep ford kit components and installation?

TedG

The rubber hose goes to the deep fording CDR valve. There are 2 types of CDR valves, the DF CDR has a top with barb fitting for that hose to connect it to. Then there is the air cup that mounts on the tub between passenger frame rail and tub just near the body mount That is then connect via another rubber hose to the DF CDR other barb fitting. For the other two tubes, one goes to the TEE, which allows the PS Pump Cap vent to connect to and the it goes to the vent lines on the passenger side frame rail. The other goes to the air filter inlet barb.

gcbennet

Thanks Ted. I've also found a plastic tube connected somewhere in the vicinity below the brake reservoir that's not connected to anything. Any advice as to where this one is supposed to be attached as well?

TedG

That is the master cylinder vent and should connect at the bottom of the mc via a 90 degree barb fitting and then straight down the toe panel and open to atmosphere. 2 clamps hold it in place on the seam of the panel.

gcbennet

Here's a few pics. First is of the tubing running from the vent/deep ford valve that doesn't seem to have a home. Second is of the CDR which does not appear to be the DF type. Third is of a fitting with a clipped hose which runs down the RH frame rail directly below the plastic shroud. Last is of a cylindrical device which is just hanging free and I have no idea what it is or if it's supposed to be hooked up to something in there.

Attachments

DatGuyC

I think it has some filter element in it to keep debris out, but I don't really know. part number 12339208 shows its actually only the fuel tank vent, and isn't attached to anything else

TedG

The filter is connected directly to fuel tank check valve at the tank. For deep fording, a tube connects to it and it is run up the snorkle.

gcbennet

I'm thinking that clipped hose on the RH frame rail is the second hose that's supposed to go to the DF CDR. My truck appears to have had the DF CDR replaced with a non-DF variant at some point, so in the meantime those two hoses will have to remain as-is. I would like to bring my truck back to its Marine service roots and get the DF kit operational on her again, including the extended exhaust and intake. If anyone has a good line on any of the DF components please let me know and we'll talk! :)

gcbennet

I've discovered two different NOS deep ford kits online and I'm wondering why they are different if they're both advertised for use on M998's. One is p/n 5705693, NSN 2590-01-319-5435 from Eastern Surplus (first pic), and the other two pics are 5705703 NSN 2990-01-320-8731 from RP Machine, in OH. There are a few obvious differences such as the straight end on the exhaust pipe vs the typical curved, and the different intake stack components. Any ideas or input?

Deep Ford Kit 1.jpgDeep Ford 2.jpgDeep Ford 3.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a few pics. First is of the tubing running from the vent/deep ford valve that doesn't seem to have a home. Second is of the CDR which does not appear to be the DF type. Third is of a fitting with a clipped hose which runs down the RH frame rail directly below the plastic shroud. Last is of a cylindrical device which is just hanging free and I have no idea what it is or if it's supposed to be hooked up to something in there.
someone has played around with all of it...the line that is cut on the tee goes to the vent on the fuel pump.
the line with the filter on the end is the fuel tank vent and unless it connected to the long tube as Ted pointed out, it just terminates behind the coolant bottle.
i can't tell from the pics how the fuel is plumbed, but the large metal line is fuel feed, the small is the injecotor and injecotor pump drain back to fuel tank.
if you dont have a vent nipple on the fuel pump, then it's not a military version.
Everything...diffs, geared hubs, tcase, transmission, vent together in a loop that ends at the air filter...there are 2 nipples on the canister, one for all the above I described and one for the air restriction gauge.

the deep ford valve has 3 connectors...the large in the middle goes direct to cdr valve.
one of the small ones, can't remember, goes to and ties in with the PS pump and goes to another Tee on the frame rail.

gcbennet

Now that I have an idea of where to start looking for some of this stuff in the TM's at least one mystery has been solved. The cylindrical device thats just dangling free is listed as the 'fuel vent line filter' (#13) and shows the proper placement in a bracket behind the air filter housing, as well as indicating the tube running to the DF intake (#19). Thanks for the help so far...

x.jpg

gcbennet

What is the purpose of this thing, and what is it supposed to be hooked to? It's listed as "Cup, Sensor, Deep Water Fording. NSN: 2540-01-192-4502, PN: 12339845" and I believe it's mounted on the frame rail directly below the air filter assy. Mine, of course, has nothing attached to it. Sorry Dave, i'm swiping pics from your site since it's a wealth of useful info..:)

HM-179b.jpg

gcbennet

I believe i've figured out the difference between the two DF kits illustrated above. The one from Eastern is the normal, run of the mill kit. The other one is listed in the parts manual (of all places) as 'Supplemental Deep Water Fording Kit'. What i thought were intake components in the pic are actually extensions for the exhaust pipe, i'm guessing for use when a cube box or something large is installed on the back of the truck. As well, in the parts manual the Sensor Cup shown above is connected by a hose to the top nipple on the DF CDR. This has been quite the educational journey so far, and i'm hoping others are learning as much as i am...

gcbennet

Sorry, it's not my intention to antagonize anyone, especially the SME's here on the forum. I do read every post in detail and follow the info and leads provided with heart, so thank you for all of that. Sometimes those posts and leads end with the answers to my enquiries while others create more questions that I feel compelled to follow. Obviously sometimes I inadvertently discover the answers myself before a fellow forum member can respond, but either way I'd like to share all of what I've learned for the benefit of everyone interested in this topic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks