• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deep water Fording kit usefulness

erasedhammer

Okay so I am weighing the usefulness of the DWF for me.

I do a lot of 4x4 adventures out in the mountains and I often have to cross small deep 'rivers' (not moving, most of the time). Generally it's a simple in and out as they are not that wide. Most are around 2 ft deep in the middle and aren't that big of a problem for my m998. But I have been forced to reroute a couple of times due to some being 3-4ft deep.

I just have a couple hypothetical scenarios to help me understand how the kit works.

1. if I am in a stock humvee, 30in of Fording capability, and I Ford a river 35 inches but it is in and out (extremely short distance Fording) what will the consequences be? Will water get in the various vents and collect in hubs, diff, ECT?

2. Same vehicle as above and same water depth, but this time the distance is more like 50ft. Will the increased time definitely add water to hubs, diff, ECT?

3. Let's imagine now that I have a vehicle that does not have a DWF kit but just has the intake stack and extended exhaust. If I go fast over a short distance through 4ft of water, will there be a problem with the vent lines?

And just to confirm, technically the exhaust extension is to prevent water from coming in he back if the engine stops? I assume a diesel produces enough exhaust pressure to keep water out while the engine is running.
With the DWF kits being $1000+ I'm trying to understand where the limitations of fording are actually at for my circumstances.
I doubt I will ever have to ford deep water for a couple hundred feet, but it is likely that I will come accross deep puddles or rivers that are 3ft + but are very short crossings.

Anyone have the manual for installing a DWF kit that I could take a look at to better understanding of the system?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

jeffy777

My two cents. Just opinion so don't get angry.

Deep water fording is for times when you have a real need to cross and there is no practical option. There is a lot of small issues with fording in general where deep water fording multiplies that by 5 to 10. Lubricants and seals get compromised. Any unknown issue with your rig gets worse very fast. It is hard to direct a vehicle around obstructions you cannot see well.

But if you are doing a lot of off-roading and do a little fording I would get the deep water fording kit. Here are my reasons:
1. If you had an emergency and had to get out fast it affords you greater flexibility to get out.
2. Can you effectively measure the depth of a river or stream. You think it is 2ft deep and bam your wheel sinks and you are 3-4 deep. Now not having it cost a ton more than not.
3. It looks cool to have a deep water fording kit on your HMMWV.

For what it is worth. My opinion,
Jeff

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 ) maybe.

2 ) very likely. I wouldn't risk it in a vehicle I cared about.

3 ) Nearly certainly.

Also, anything that leaks under normal circumstances will allow water in if submerged. Something to think about.

erasedhammer

In regards to question #3 you should read the -10 TM . Your question makes it clear you never have read the operators TM or have a clue how to ford water.

probably should read these too.

Fording w/o kit

HMMWV Fording Kit Delimma

Waters intrusion into passenger insulation?

Any idea what could have caused this?

Fan clutch questions. How to disengage when driving through flood waters

Fan blades breaking

Deep Ford Kit

Talk about a deep water fording kit
Yes, I haven't really read the -10 manual cover to cover.
What I have done is read all those posts before.
For the fan, I already have a switch wired into that so I can turn it on and off for Fording and what not.
In reference to #3 I read on another post that with just the snorkel and exhaust extension, in an emergency one can go quickly into deep water if it's in and out and not hurt any of the vents as the engine compartment wouldn't fully flood?
Don't get me wrong though, currently I don't rush fording. I DO NOT want to hydrolock my engine 50 miles from the nearest highway.

erasedhammer

Since most likely I will be piecing together a dwf kit, anyone know where to get the waterproof engine dipstick? (already have the transmission dipstick that seals)

erasedhammer

Is the vented power steering cap have a valve in it? Is there any considerations when slowly applying the kit to the vehicle over time (like install the vent line and cap to the power steering but not having the new CDR valve installed yet?)

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the vented power steering cap have a valve in it? Is there any considerations when slowly applying the kit to the vehicle over time (like install the vent line and cap to the power steering but not having the new CDR valve installed yet?)
power stg cap just has a nipple drilled into it to hook up the vent line that it is "t" into with no valve.

I can't advise on the rest as I have not fully installed mine yet. I plan on doing the cdr & vent lines together. I would think you could install the sensor cup, hydroboost vent, and selector valve separately then tie all together when CDR is installed. At least that is part of my plan depending on how long it takes. CDR looks like it might be the hardest part to get to it easily. Thinking from inside via doghouse is the way to go.

I did try to pull the fording transmission dipstick off a parts truck and that puppy would not budge. I think the rubber seal into the pan is dry and shellacked to it like a glove. Looks like the pan would need to be dropped to ease it from underneath.

Action

A seal doesn't have to be bad to let water in. It is the pressure of the water being greater than the inside of the component that pushes the water in. With the DWF kit, the components get pressurized to keep the water out.

snowtrac nome

A seal doesn't have to be bad to let water in. It is the pressure of the water being greater than the inside of the component that pushes the water in. With the DWF kit, the components get pressurized to keep the water out.
or a vacuum is created from a rapid cooling gear box as I have to cross lots of water there is reason I got such a big truck I'm tired of all the wheel bearing replacements , so I got a truck that the axles will be out of most all the water crossings I have to make .

Action

Your geared hubs will still be under water at 30".

Part of the DWF kit is an upside down "cup" on the right frame rail. As you get deeper, the water at the bottom of the cup creates pressure in the components by pushing up into the cup. If you don't put the kit together with all the components, this may not occur. The switch under the dash cuts off venting to the air cleaner box.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only reason that I would have a DWF is because it looks cool! I don't want anything to do with that "swim action" stuff. I once crossed a respectable river on the Stampede Trail, OK, (Civi 4x4), on the way in. Broke an axle, (front), so chained up (summer time) for way out. Still spun out in river. Engine always ran, but water in everything took a couple of years to get over, in spite of huge maintenance issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks