• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deep Water Question

palskidoo

I am new to the MV "addiction" and I have been reading everything I can for the past 2 weeks about m35's. This site is worth its weight in gold in that respect! I am amazed at the capabilities of the m35's and I'd like to buy a bobbed A2 soon. My question however involves deep water travel. I've seen videos of m35's in 6ft or more of water and they chug-along like a CHAMP! But how does the engine like the deep water travel? What about the radiator fan trying to spin underwater? is there any preparation to deep water travel or do you just hold your breathe and go?

Thanks

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are very few complete fording kits and the post fording maintenance is extensive.

palskidoo

Yes Im a "newbee" and trying to gain a good footing on MV's before I purchase I own. I appreciate the warm welcome as opposed to other introductory conversations I've had on other sites.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deep water travel should be reserved for emergencies.

The trucks where not designed to stay under water. Buy a submarine for that.

They where however designed to spend a short time getting wet

Just remember that steel and water usually result in rust.

The one issue with deep water fording that usually isn't addressed is the follow up maintenance that is required.

The wheel bearing on each axle must be taken apart and inspected. Water WILL find its way in.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can find the videos of these things in deep water, too bad they don't show the 1/2 hour prep required before entering the water and 1/2 hr work after exiting the water.
or the 10 hrs of work & gallons of lube change to the axles, trans & t-case & bearings once you get it home. ( That's if it was driven in clean water ! )

Woodsplinter

Welcome Palskidoo!
I used to think driving my deuce in water would be cool, but after reading about the "after" maintenance there's no way except in an emergency.
Somewhere, I saw a video of a soldier driving a deuce underwater while wearing scuba gear- haven't been able to find it lately.

palskidoo

Thanks a lot to all who replied. Unfortunately like with most everything kool or fun it seems the consequences and maintenance of the act out weighs the fun. Once i find my deuce Im going to avoid deep water unless an emergency calls for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks