• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deer hunting '09

Pappa-G

Short and sweet version:
Left on Veterans day on a frosty morning (ice fog) made it to the Mighty Mac and lost a trailer tire at the toll booth. Of course I didnt have a spare tire. ended up getting a new tube in Cheboygan cost of $18.00 and 4 hours. Shot west to Marquette to see daughter at NMU ( Go Wildcats!!). Finished the drive to camp following day and set stuff up. Just because we stay in a tent doesn't mean we have to suffer. Brother arrived the following day after camp was set up....hmmmm maybe he is on to something?
Day before the opener found a bear that was asleep. Aparently they are shy. When she got up to run off thats when we saw the 2 cubs. Oops mental note - Dont mess with the bears!
Opening day got a 8point with my .30 carbine. (yea for me!)
Next day Buddy got a nice 6 point with his .270.
Day after that while in town some older folks lost it on an icy stretch of roadway smashed into the Ford. Bummer. No serious injurys though.
Had some frosty mornings and some cold nights but had a great time even though Armada missed out for the first time in 28 years or so.
We broke camp on the 21st and made it home without any issues about 1000 miles round trip.
The fuel economy going up was around 5mpg but the return trip was alot better, closer to 9.2mpg. Might have been the headwind going up or the lighter load coming back. But every thing ran well and other than the tires and dents no major issues.

Attachments

820jeep

I hope to take my own picture like your last one soon. I am at day 70 on my first EUC ( M-101A2) and at day 68 ( M-35A2 ), this is just crazy. :evil:
:-D Anyway congrats on your trip and hunt. :-D

P.S. I got an 8 point on our second weekend here in Texas.

TedG

Welcome back Nick! It looks like another fun trip and I bet Paul missed being there! Good looking buck also.

Sooner or later I need to check out your truck and perhaps bob my XM818.

Pappa-G

Welcome back Nick! It looks like another fun trip and I bet Paul missed being there! Good looking buck also.

Sooner or later I need to check out your truck and perhaps bob my XM818.

Paul was seriously bummed. You can bet he wont miss it next year.

I'll have my truck in Grand Ledge at the air field on saturday if you want to take a look.

bigflew

Man that sounds familiar.
I have had blazers and cucv's for 25 years never had a flat. So on nov. 16 I took my spare out of the cucv to make room for a couple of nice deer. besides I would not be going far from camp. on nov 18 a hunting buddie's ride home left without him so I oferd to drive him to standish (about 120 miles from camp) 10 miles out of standish yup shreded a tire. I had to have my spare deliverd to me. then the jack broke. but I only ended losing an evening of hunting.

Attachments

TedG

Nick, I'll see if I can get over to the field Saturday. Perhaps I can drive the M813A1 over for mechanical testing! lol pm details.

joeypushjr1

nice snag and glad to hear all went well with exception to the ford. but when you first said you set up the tent and what not i then looked at the pic. funny very funny. im thinking a camping tent that you can barely stand in that you get from ****s or gander mountin . but a Mil one now thats camping

todds112

The few times I went over that as a kid, I stared down at the floor of the car. Dad kept telling me to look out. I just stared down and said, "I don't wanna." Don't like heights, needless to say.

Armada

Great pics! Another great adventure! Man, you know how bad it hurt not to be there this year! The second worst thing I've ever had to go through. I was there mentally, just not physically! Unfortunately, it's hard to fill a freezer with mentally shot deer! lol
I need to link the posts of our trips from years past to this thread. Makes for some good reading if you like deer, mv's, guns, and camping.

Pappa-G

Its an old Sears wood/coal heater it weighs a TON! but heats nice. This year we used @ 100lbs of coal and 1/2 face cord of oak/maple. It got to the low 20's at night and mid 40's during the day. Might be in a tent but there is no need to suffer.:-D

davidkroberts

why not a tent stove? would be lighter...... but im tracking with you on being comfortable. I spent too many a cold wet night when i was in the military....... I camp in style now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks