• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Definitive M105A2 Recovery Thread?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They accually tow better than most civilain trailers I've pulled. I've towed several with my 3/4 ton Dodge and you don't even know it's back there.

The M105 ring fits tight into a standard TSC hitch but it will fit. No need to fool with flipping the lunette or worry about an extra tall hitch just to tow it home.

jimm1009

M105 towing

The safety chains will probably not be quite long enough.
Bring along a nice 6 foot or so piece and some shackles to adapt your chain to Uncle Sam's and some tiewraps and good duct tape. I removed my tailgate for wind resistance with the tail in the air and stowed it in the trailer with some straps. Magnetic lights had all kinds of realistate that way and all you need is a hammer, wires cutters for removing cotter pins, and a small punch. A little WD40 helps here but one person can remove the four pins and pick the tailgate up with no problem/
Watch your speed. The trailer will tow so well that you will find yourself creeping up to 70 MPH and the tires are not rated for that speed.
I varied between 63 and 68 MPH and that may have been too much but the tires worked well over the 8 hour trip past Wreckerman and back down in Lafayette, LA from Red Stone.
:-D
Jim

Snarky

I wanted to post some pictures of it finally attached to my deuce. The recovery mostly involved me asking people to go get it. Haha, I got it from Frodo on friday, the trailer towed back great via an F-250 and a TSC hitch. Frodo is an awesome guy.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

November 22nd, 2009.

Along with the list of tools and extras, I would suggest allowing increased stopping distance as you will be pulling that M105A2 without the air orver hydraulics helping you stop it. On my M105A2 I used the deuce, figuring that there would be few problems if the truck didn't cause them (other then the famous chassis lube system known as a leaking rear main seal, since fixed), and the 120th Combat Engineers took really good care of the trailer and GL didn't forrk lift it to death, it should have been a piece of cake..... It was, the only complaint was that that darn trailer sure slows a normally aspirated deuce down on hills, and I was running with the air over hydraulics not hooked up (I didn't know what the conditions were there), so it took about 7 hours to cover 250 miles. After I got home I tried the air over hydraulics out, and man, they must've put new shoes on her fairly recently, cause you can tell when they cut in and out.....:-D!

The M105 gets a lot of grief because of the empty weight and size, but they are usefull with a deuce and almost indestructible. Good luck with the recovery.

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan:p

conductorx

I really lucked out sounds like. I bought two trailers at Fort Polk in LA. I got on base and they tried to shoo me away. With a little bit of talking to the Seargent and he broke out a huge forklift and loaded both trailers for me on my car hauler.

I got them home and they both roll fine and everything works. Even the tires were new with the little nubs on them.

Gary

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks