• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

degreasing a Cummins 250

absolutemoon

Good Evening, I am having an engine leak issue and would like some advice/opinions/suggestions. Let me start by saying I am not a mechanic by trade but do know how to turn a wrench. The 923a1 is a lot larger than I am used to but hey, I'm up for the challenge. So here goes:

There is a leak somewhere towards the front of the engine. I have been monitoring fluid levels (oil,PS) and am not noticing a distinct level change. At first based upon the "evidence of the leak", I thought it was power steering fluid. The PS pump is wet towards the top so I immediately checked to make sure the cap was tight. It was. After a few short trips back and forth to the store, I am noticing a darker fluid "oil" dripping from the center of the front axle. It is obvious its coming from the front of the engine somewhere. My thought now is to degrease the engine and try to pinpoint the area where the leak is coming from. My question then becomes, (1) has anyone done this before that had success (at home, not in a shop) and if so, how and what did you use?. (2) If I am thinking correctly, the military had built these motors to be waterproof, right? (3) If I proceed with this plan, Is there anything I REALLY don't want to get soaking wet?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have and bear with me as I will be leaning on this forum in the near future to help me familiarize myself with this vehicle. I appreciate your time with this. Bryan

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First, what's a cummings 250?

But yes, soak it degreaser and hose it down. Then find the leak. Just don't spray into the intake.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, it was more of a joke. I'm a Cummins fan, but we always know the newbies by the "G".

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dark or black oil on the top of the front axle is a classic sign of the oil filter canister leaking. Looking on the lower driver side of of the block, about even with the frame rail, there is a canister that holds the cartridge filter for the engine oil. There is a big seal where the canister seals to the filter head and a small seal under the head of the bolt that faces the firewall. Both those seals are notorious for leaking and do so on top of the axle. The oil can also land on the front facing input shaft flange of the axle and sling everywhere making it difficult to pinpoint.

Spray down the canister real good with brake cleaner so there is no oil residue and go for a drive. When you get back, check to see if it's damp or leaking. I use brake cleaner on my engine. It cuts through the tough stuff with ease, removes all residue and evaporates so there isn't much of a mess on the ground. Try to stay away from anything rubber, like belts amd hoses. A little won't hurt but it'll prematurely dry them by removing the natural oils. Stay completely away from the alternator and starter with the brake cleaner.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use warm water and dawn dish soap, it works reeeel gooood to degrease.

absolutemoon

Just an update: I did end up degreasing the majority of the engine with degreaser. I bagged the alt. and intake just to be sure I wasn't messing anything up. Boy, she was greasy!!! Come to find out, the oil leak appears to be coming from (if your looking at the engine from the front) drivers side, behind the upper pully. I believe it may be the injector housing, but am not sure. Its right in front of the compressor. That seems to be the culprit. Now, off to read more maintenance TM's. UGH!!!!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While you're at it, you should install a spin on oil filter adaprt kit. The filter canisters always make a mess.
I have the kits in stock ( includes new Fleet guard filter). Additionally keep the Power steering pump a little less than full.
If you service it to the line , it will puke it out.
have fun
JC

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an update: I did end up degreasing the majority of the engine with degreaser. I bagged the alt. and intake just to be sure I wasn't messing anything up. Boy, she was greasy!!! Come to find out, the oil leak appears to be coming from (if your looking at the engine from the front) drivers side, behind the upper pully. I believe it may be the injector housing, but am not sure. Its right in front of the compressor. That seems to be the culprit. Now, off to read more maintenance TM's. UGH!!!!
That is the Accessory drive. It can be resealed but we usually serviced it as a unit since it has bearings inside that support the shaft.
Down load and read the TM before deciding if you want to tackle this job at home.