• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Delco 24v alternator bracket modification

Katavic918

I know this thread is nearly 2 years old, but thanks for all the info. My hmmwv gen decided to see how much voltage it could produce today. Luckily it didn't fry anything. I ended up removing the belts to get home. I just ordered the 21-si and the pulley tkdtim suggested. I may do the same on the deuce. I've had nothing but problems with these generators. I just want something reliable since I don't plan on any deep water fording or anything like that.

Glider

Here's how I did mine last year. I didn't get the holes drilled properly and had wrong offset. I ran it anyway. The alternator started overcharging. I have a replacement Delco and original generator. I'm going to buy another alternator bracket and get it correct the 2nd time.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn’t overcharging be due to pulley size and not offset and a bad regulator?

Looks like you ground down the bracket. Am I correct?

Nice ingenuity.

Glider

Yes I ground down the bracket. The idea worked perfectly my execution was another story. You have to grind both sides. I didn't grind the face of the bracket far enough to get proper belt alignment. It could be removed and corrected with more grinding. I had to drill one mounting hole for pivot attachment and didn't get the correct alignment with front hole so the alternator sat crooked and out of alignment.

The alternator worked great for about a year before it started overcharging. This wasn't a gradual failure happened all at once.

One thing to note. When the alternator was new it would not begin to charge until you revved the engine a little. This was a delimma for me when doing winter cold starts. I want to let the engine idle for 10 min or so to warm and run heat. Unless I Rev a cold engine it will run the 10 min without charging.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's how I did mine last year. I didn't get the holes drilled properly and had wrong offset. I ran it anyway. The alternator started overcharging. I have a replacement Delco and original generator. I'm going to buy another alternator bracket and get it correct the 2nd time.
It also looks like you have a pulley for belts that are much wider than the HMMWV uses.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I ground down the bracket. The idea worked perfectly my execution was another story. You have to grind both sides. I didn't grind the face of the bracket far enough to get proper belt alignment. It could be removed and corrected with more grinding. I had to drill one mounting hole for pivot attachment and didn't get the correct alignment with front hole so the alternator sat crooked and out of alignment.

The alternator worked great for about a year before it started overcharging. This wasn't a gradual failure happened all at once.

One thing to note. When the alternator was new it would not begin to charge until you revved the engine a little. This was a delimma for me when doing winter cold starts. I want to let the engine idle for 10 min or so to warm and run heat. Unless I Rev a cold engine it will run the 10 min without charging.
That is very common for 1 wire alternators, they put a small drain on the batteries all the time to have a small amount of field magnetism, it is sometimes not enough to self excite the alternator at idle, it also will drain the batteries over time so I no longer use them on my farm equipment, I usually use a oil pressure switch to excite the alternator, easy pleasy, if the engine is running the alt is excited if not there is no power drain.
Alternators do not have residual magnetism like generators do so the the term "self exited" is false as stated above they pull from the batteries all the time to create a magnetic field.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mogman,

Do you know the correct profile for hmmwv?
I not sure what you mean by profile, I have never installed an aftermarket alternator in HMMWV nor would I, the 60A was a very poor alternator, I would and have converted to the 200A dual voltage alternator.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think most if not all the aftermarket one wire 24V Delco alternators are simply converted 12v units, these run a high field current and eventually burn out the regulator leading to ether no charge or excessive charging.

Glider

Update on the alternator conversion. I started modifying the factory aluminum 60 amp bracket. As mentioned earlier when modifying I had to drill and tap a mounting point for the pivoting side of the alternator. I drilled the hole close but not in the correct location. I could not find a 60 amp alternator the modify correctly. So I took a chance on a 200amp bracket and picked up a 200 amp conversion kit minus the alternator for less than 100 on ebay. It will/should work great. The hole I had trouble with is drilled all the way thru! All I have to do is removed unneeded bracket material!

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a time when those conversion kits cost under $50.

I’m not saying it’s Bidenomics. This is a political free zone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks