• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Delco batterys

REDWOLF

Where can you get the 6TL delco batterys at in northeast Maryland. I may need one in a hurry so i can get my truck started sence it stoped today. Can you use two good quality standard batterys?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, standard automotive batteries will work just fine. Check Walmart.

Drkhrs

Walmart batteries will work just fine, they just won't last for very long. I suggest group 31 size batteries for more cold cranking amps.
I should note that I don't have a CUCV, and your mileage may vary, but I am a certified battery tech. The Delco batteries should go quite a while for you. I usually see Walmart batteries fail within a year or two. Should also note that I only have experience with them in 12 volt setups.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walmart batteries will work just fine, they just won't last for very long. I suggest group 31 size batteries for more cold cranking amps.
I should note that I don't have a CUCV, and your mileage may vary, but I am a certified battery tech. The Delco batteries should go quite a while for you. I usually see Walmart batteries fail within a year or two. Should also note that I only have experience with them in 12 volt setups.

I've had two Walmart batteries in my Deuce for two years now. Have not had a single issue. Always enough juice to fire it up even in below zero temps. I drive it about once a month for at least an hour or so.
My CUCV has two red top Optima batteries and they are excellent as well.
I recently picked up a 94 Chev C2500 USAF truck and it had a red top Optima battery manufactured in 2000. Still going strong.

Last edited:

REDWOLF

My brother is a goverment contractore and he told me that the goverment switched all there batterys over to red top optimas. But they are little out of my price range right now at about 205.00 per bat.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6TL's the military uses are made by Interstate, not Delco.

I just purchased six of them for my three CUCV's. It makes a huge difference.

And your truck will thank you if replace your batteries in sets.

The 6TL's ARE more expensive. But they do last longer. One set I traded in were dated 2004.

Most folks can't afford to rebattery all their trucks at one time. I got lucky as the wife had the buck left over after paying taxes this year. And it has made a huge difference in starting all the truck.

And when you replace the battery (s), clean the tray and then hit it with a fresh coat of paint.

Regarding the batteries that leak. JC Whitney has battery tray pads that absorb those leaks. They are $10 each, so each truck was $20, which is not that bad.

Monkeyboyarmy

I have a comment about Walmart batteries. I picked up a 5 ton tractor over ten years ago and bought 2 of the cheapest top post batteries with a decent load rating. The truck got driven about twice a year. Sat through very harsh winters with no use. Started every time. I sold the truck with the same batteries. Maybe new Walmart batteries are made different.Your luck may vary.

Jersey4x4

The Interstate 6TL batteries only have a 1 year warranty and they use recycled lead and it is airated so the battery is lighter but also less performance. The gov did not switch to Optimas they are switching to Odyessy www.[B]odysseybatteries[/B].com and they are the cats arss. All Optimas are good for is long draw down and maybe they will last a year or 2. Every one I have had has failed.
The Deka 6TL is the way to go and is close to the same price as a good 31MF There is no comparison to a 6TL other then maybe an 8D as for Wally Mart batteries, Let me know when you go and I will just take your money and run away because that is what they are going to do and because you are not putting them in the proper vehicle they will not warranty them. Go DEKA 6TL or ODYSSEY 6TL I love the 1700 amps of the ODYSSEY great for the ready welder.

REDWOLF

Well the only batts close to group 31 batts that i can find at my local walmart store here are group 35 they are 850 cold cranking amps and look to be about the size of a deep cycle amrine battery. They are 88,00 a pc and that is the biggest they handle. What ya think will they work?

ryan77

Those odyssey batteries are like $500.00 bucks you can get 2 optimas for the price of one odyssey!!!!!

Jersey4x4

You get what you pay for. It would take like 10 Optima's to equal the 2 Odyssey's
Check on the other forums and see what has the highest return rate? The Orbital cell battery of any brand even optima. They are just not that good.

Those odyssey batteries are like $500.00 bucks you can get 2 optimas for the price of one odyssey!!!!!

ryan77

Personally if i can avoid scum mart i do i cant take going into that place any more its like a magnet for white trash and weirdos they treat there employees like sh$t and don't pay them anything. I would rather go to Farm and fleet they have a 7 year warranty with 3 years free replacement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks