• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

delete

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately the OV fault sensing logic is inside the inverter.

Have you tried moving the voltage adjust back and forth a few times before starting?

Some people have experienced issues with their inverters due to moisture and high humidity.
Some have had good results by running the engine for a prolonged period of time causing the inverter to dry out.
Unfortunately your fault monitor is shutting the set down.

Something I would try, but risk is involved is to prevent the engine from shutting down and see if the AC output of the inverter is truly too high.

You can inhibit the engine shut down by unplugging P4 from the back of the fault monitor.
** However doing so forces the engine to continue running despite ANY faults and send power from the PMA into the inverter. **
If there is a serious issue with the inverter bad things could happen...
If you choose to do this I'd hook my meter to inverter terminals L0-L1 and then briefly start the engine and see if you get AC voltage and how much.
Then repeat with the meter hooked to L0-L2.

Mac3715

Thank you for the speedy reply. I've read every thread i could find. Seems like moisture is a constant problem and complaint. I have several battery type humidity meters. I put two of them inside the unit . They both read 59, 62 % humidity. My gen set is stored in my garage. NJ Humidity is roughly 50% to 65% this time of year probly a little less in my garage. Could this small humidity create this problem? No wonder these gensets were sent to the desert iraq afgan.
I will work the voltage adjuster back and forth and run the engine on and off throughout the day to see if i can reduce the humidity inside the unit.
I started the engine yesterday for the first time. It did produce AC and I was able to run my heat gun 1000 watts for roughly 5 minutes. It then started overvoltage and shuts down.

Mac3715

I ran the gen set yesterday on and off ten times throughout the day trying to dry out the humidity. At the end of the day readings were 35 percent on both meters. Same result unit shuts down.
Today i roll the unit out of my garage open the hood and both meters are reading 80 & 84% percent humidity. My garage is cement floor attached to my house and dry. Where the hell is this humidity coming from. The fuel meter gauge had fog yesterday. At the end of the day the fog dryed out. Today fog is back.
I'm running on and off cycles all day today again.
---mac---

Dewie38

On the terminal board on top of the inverter are two small number 101 and 103 wires on L1 and L2, those are the overvoltage sensing wires that sense the voltage coming out of the inverter and go back into the inverter.
If there is an overvoltage when you remove the wires the generator should not fault, if it still faults then there is a false trip.
Still as Klopp said bypassing any fault circuit is dangerous.

Mac3715

My generator produced proper voltage for 15 minutes or so today. Then overvoltage shut it down. I see the 101 and 103 wires. If i remove them i understand the generator will not fault. At this point i don't care if it burns down.
What will I learn from this? Other than firefighting.

I see the L1 & L2. Where is LO or is that labeled N?

Yeah El Paso looks terrific.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
On the terminal board on top of the inverter are two small number 101 and 103 wires on L1 and L2, those are the overvoltage sensing wires that sense the voltage coming out of the inverter and go back into the inverter.
If there is an overvoltage when you remove the wires the generator should not fault, if it still faults then there is a false trip.
Still as Klopp said bypassing any fault circuit is dangerous.
Dewie,

A CECOM friend of mine told me the A2 (Fault Indicator) was known to every now and then be THE FAULT. For instance, no real low oil fault, over voltage fault, etc, just the A2 bad. And I remember changing 4-5 of them in the 802 and 803 gen sets. They were considered a "Low level problem area". The failed, but seldom. Not enough to make it worth while to fix the problem. Did the 3 KW ever have problems with the A2?

Dewie38

Guy,
I dont recall ever hearing or experiencing major issues with the fault panels on any of the TQG's.
And we produced at one time every TQ from 3-200 kW's.
But I certainly was not out in the field as you.
The one big issue we had with the 3 kW was the overload short circuit on start and that was quickly fixed on all inverters including in the field.
by TRC.
We never even had as many issues as people are saying they have with the governor controller on the 3 kW, but Klopp has that issue well in hand and its a good thing he did.
Sounds like people are very happy with his governor controller.
Keep up the good work Guy people on this forum really depend on you for guidance.
You, Klopp, and Diesel do great work for people here.
Dewie