• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deleting pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmetalmiki

How do we get rid of or delete all the "waste" no longer needed pictures stuck in the upload folder? you can click thier boxes but there is no option the get rid of them. and I can not put any more pictures in mine so uploading is difficult, as the progress of adding files is no longer transparent..just guesswork.

dmetalmiki

I seem to remember that in the old site it was easier to place pictures. Guess it comes back to the old addage "if it ain't broke ..don't fix it". Placing pictures is really complex now, and does not follow any "logical" sequence.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i seem to remember that in the old site it was easier to place pictures. Guess it comes back to the old addage "if it ain't broke ..don't fix it". Placing pictures is really complex now, and does not follow any "logical" sequence.
yep

dmetalmiki

Anybody (moderators?) know how we "manage files" in the file manager? Why can we not delete unused or outdated pictures? File manager states "pictures NOT USED within short time limit will be automatically deleted". OK but the pictures all of them NOT NOW REQUIRED are still filling the folder. after 4 months of NON DELETION. So can we have some asistance please (of how to) get rid these files (pictures).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How do we get rid of or delete all the "waste" no longer needed pictures stuck in the upload folder? you can click thier boxes but there is no option the get rid of them. and I can not put any more pictures in mine so uploading is difficult, as the progress of adding files is no longer transparent..just guesswork.
Don't worry about it. The reason we want people to upload the photos here is for that very reason, so the data isn't lost. We've amassed around 54gb of images/pdfs/files from members here over the years. We can always get more space.

Everything about posting pictures on this site is difficult. Or at least tedious.
Please see my previous comment. On a personal note, I used to use photobucket for all my images on various forums. To this day, I've still never deleted any images. But when it comes to the average user, it can't be said the same. This is the wish of the site owner, in an attempt to retain the continuity of threads over the long haul. You can certainly upload images to other locations, however, they will only display as a link. (Again, this is done to encourage the images/files to be uploaded directly)

Ron, we've been down this path before. Might I remind you, things will not always stay the same. Software is constantly evolving. Threats are always a step behind/beside. We have to proceed in a forward path, which ever way the company that creates our basic software takes us.

On a personal note, I'd be more than happy to share just how much time I've been putting into the site lately. I've been staying up nightly till 1-2am working on code, resolving errors, and securing things. Anything I do isn't simply to mess with anyone here. It's to support the site/system. Sometimes the changes made aren't received well. But it ultimately is a balancing act. Fix the issues or deal with the consequences. Be upset with me if you wish, but it is what it is. I know for someone who profoundly curses the site at any opportunity, you're also one of the first people that starts calling others when there's an issue/it's down.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Anybody (moderators?) know how we "manage files" in the file manager? Why can we not delete unused or outdated pictures? File manager states "pictures NOT USED within short time limit will be automatically deleted". OK but the pictures all of them NOT NOW REQUIRED are still filling the folder. after 4 months of NON DELETION. So can we have some asistance please (of how to) get rid these files (pictures).
Just replied. It's a non issue. Please review my response for an explanation.

dmetalmiki

Thank you for some explanation. However, NEW pictures in my manager can not now be seen in the folder, or section below there to upload to the site..so it appears the folder is now "full" and no more add files show when choosing file (photo) locations. previousely they appeared in the section below the file manager. I do not mind if they remain, but I would like to add more to upload. and for this process to be transparent. Perhaps if these files are to be kept, then they should be removed to a "saver location" for continuity, but the file manager page left empty for new additions.Mine does appear to be Full now so no additions can be placed in the folder. your thoughts please.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for some explanation. However, NEW pictures in my manager can not now be seen in the folder, or section below there to upload to the site..so it appears the folder is now "full" and no more add files show when choosing file (photo) locations. previousely they appeared in the section below the file manager. I do not mind if they remain, but I would like to add more to upload. and for this process to be transparent. Perhaps if these files are to be kept, then they should be removed to a "saver location" for continuity, but the file manager page left empty for new additions.Mine does appear to be Full now so no additions can be placed in the folder. your thoughts please.
I'm not sure I follow you. There's means to review older attachments in the upload window. In the bottom right corner of window that shows the uploaded thumbnails you'll see a > and >> button. You can click on those to advance backwards. You can also change sorting to ascending to see your first uploaded files by date as well from the drop downs above the images.

You may also create folders if you wish to help organize where you wish things to be displayed in the left window under the "home" folder.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not sure where that all came about, I was just agreeing with D. on the picture uploading, I am well aware of all the time that is put in to keep the site running, just about a full time job and none of it goes UN-appreciated.

salt6

This rule is why I seldom post photos to this site;

Copyright: All photographs and printed material on SS.com are protected by US and International Copyright rules. Please do not reproduce any part of the SS website or forums without the approval of the site management. Copyright to posts and other information become the property of the SS website.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This rule is why I seldom post photos to this site;

Copyright: All photographs and printed material on SS.com are protected by US and International Copyright rules. Please do not reproduce any part of the SS website or forums without the approval of the site management. Copyright to posts and other information become the property of the SS website.
I'm sorry you feel that way. But it's the right of the site owner/Steel Soldiers LLC. The actual reasoning behind that statement is more to protect the trademark Chris owns of the Steel Soldiers name and intellectual rights behind it. (The design of the site/SS icon/exc.) Seeing that you own a domain/website as well I would think you would understand the "boilerplate language".

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too find it frustrating to be presented with EVERY picture I have ever uploaded to SS when I go to add a new one. I'm there to add a new one, not review past uploads. It's actually easier to find old threads if I want to reference a picture than to find it in the picture uploads. Maybe that's why I don't post as many pictures as I have in the past, and will likely be posting fewer in the future. If too many people become frustrated with it, the purpose of posting pictures so the 'record' is complete will become naught. I realize it's difficult to change the way the software developers make you store the images in the database, but I wish it was stored under the thread, and not the user id. The flip side is that all the pictures of ZOUT's camper build thread that he deleted should still be available!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see how it's difficult to use.

I simply get a picture off my computer anytime I need one, and upload it.

I don't use the sites picture storage ever.

jesusgatos

I'm sorry you feel that way. But it's the right of the site owner/Steel Soldiers LLC. The actual reasoning behind that statement is more to protect the trademark Chris owns of the Steel Soldiers name and intellectual rights behind it. (The design of the site/SS icon/exc.) Seeing that you own a domain/website as well I would think you would understand the "boilerplate language".
Would be pretty easy to amend that to read in a way that gives SS non-exclusive, perpetual rights to host/share user-generated content without asserting ownership though, right? There's also an obvious difference between user-generated content and anything created/owned by SS, and I don't see how those two things are related.
I don't see how it's difficult to use.

I simply get a picture off my computer anytime I need one, and upload it.

I don't use the sites picture storage ever.
Compared to most other forums, it's... not great.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These rules have been in place for a long time and have worked well.

Nitpicking the wording, is ridiculous.

If you don't like the site options, rules or linguistics, then do not participate.

Simple.

No more discussion needed(or will be accepted).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Would be pretty easy to amend that to read in a way that gives SS non-exclusive, perpetual rights to host/share user-generated content without asserting ownership though, right? There's also an obvious difference between user-generated content and anything created/owned by SS, and I don't see how those two things are related.

Compared to most other forums, it's... not great.
Please feel free to PM the owner steelsoldiers and voice your concerns. I have no control over the trademark/boilerplate language/LLC.

And the forum software is the same as pirate4x4, I know you frequent there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks