• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Demilling

Badojeep

I have a question, I know on my M151A2 they stripped all the parts off and crushed the bodies. Do they do the same on the HMMWV ? and if they do take stuff off what would it be Tires? dash? motor?.
I am looking for a complete dash assy/ engine cover? Thank you Tom

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They just crush them. Takes too much time to take parts off.

There are a bunch of spare parts floating around. Just have to search for them

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are lots of used and New parts on G503, This sites classifieds, Hummer Networks marketplace and Ebay, and Me.
Some Humvees are getting cut up in Tucson Az.

BradBMI

GL has a bunch of these but they wont let parts be taken off they must be destroyed

Last edited by a moderator:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
DLA says "(5000 Tons) of Aluminum HMMV s Armored and Unarmored Wheeled Vehicles. ABSOLUTELY NO PARTS REMOVAL AUTHORIZED!! These vehicles are Demil C; an approved End-Use-Certificate (EUC) will be required before any vehicle removal can occur. Vehicles must be demilitarized on-site"

papakb

Demil "C" is the DODs designator for the removal or disabling of "key points". There is nothing in the Demil "C proceedure that says anything about a vehicle being crushed. Here's a link to the manual: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/416028m_vol2.pdf Page 93 has the definition of Demil "C" on it.

Demil "D" is the requirement for the item to be reduced to scrap format.

Unfortunately either the DRMO employees can't read, which is entirely likely, or they're too lazy to follow their own guidelines, or they just haven't got a clue. Also entirely likely. We've fought this battle for decades. It's somewhat understandable when it comes to destructive devices like ordnance but come on now, a truck is a truck is a truck.

Kurt

nattieleather

We've fought this battle for decades. It's somewhat understandable when it comes to destructive devices like ordnance but come on now, a truck is a truck is a truck.

Kurt
Yes we have. I've heard every thing from "hey that's just the way it is deal with it" to "the vehicle doesn't meet current vehicle (fill in the blank, safety, emissions, etc) standards." I've also been told "the manufacturer doesn't want the market flooded with the vehicle because they are making it." Which I could somewhat buy that when AMG was making the H1 but they are not in that business anymore...and with M151 it didn't make any sense because there was no civilian equivilant to it. So it's a truck, but I guess in some lawyers eyes it's not a truck....it's something else.

M813A1

Well with the M151 those vehicles Prone to Flipping over at low speed and killing people, that is why the goberment started cutting them up. It was a Liability issue, now with the Hummer it is a issue with AMG not wanting the Liability issues and the older trucks out in the market . So the manufacture considers the vehicles to be scrap after the military is done with them, and does not recomend them to be registered. Yes some got released early but the gobernment caught up with that and stopped the release of the hummer . Along with that the military hummer does not meet the Highway Saftey Standards for the DOT !! So that is why the governmet has changed their position on the Hummer . Yes they are still out there ut you are going to pay way more for that junk then it is worth IMHO !!

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I wonder just how much lobbying AM General has done to make sure none get out....think about it, AMG is darn near shuddered the production line, that's the only reason the hmmwv-c project ever got life breathed into it...if a boatload of surplus hmmwv's were dumped into the market, it will kill that project. And from what the gal at drmo told me was that no bodies will leave without them being crushed first....but like Kurt said, the process can be pretty loose at times...

Unionjackjim

What a waste of parts ! , Great for all us Hmmwv owners , that they will only go up in price , but wouldn't it be great if the spares price came down due to over supply .....

Badojeep

I am so happy that China can use our steel. Bad part is we all paid for it! Hopefully all those HMMWV served their purpose and protected our men and women the best they could.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take comfort in the steel going to China in that they process it and everything else without the EPA enforcing any clean air/water standards. Look at pictures from around the 1900s of our cities. Then look at any pictures from last week in Beijing. Their pollution is so far off the scale it could not be measured in the US because our charts don't go that high. 750 where our max is 500.

So let them smoke on that cut up axle out of a Hummer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks