• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dented hardtop fix

Spook556

Some large individual must have jumped on my hardtop at some point; it is somewhat dented in. It is a shallow dent, but pretty much across the whole width of the top. It seems to me that I can push up on it and just "pop" it (mostly) back into shape.

Has anybody got any experience with this? Does it work, should I not do it, is there anything I should do to make sure I don't break something? It is okay as it is; I would rather not risk breaking something if there is a big chance of that.

Thanks!

Spook

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the top is not significantly rusted, lay on back on seat, raise lags to top, push!

KsM715

Mine is also dented down. I am thinking about a couple of 2x4's and a jack.

Thats what I did to mine. A short scrap piece of 2x12 on the drivers box seat, (dent was above the drivers seat and to the rear) the bottle jack on that and a 4x4x1/4 piece of steel on top of the jack and a 2x6 on that and just worked it around till most of the dent was out. Mine has a slight crease in the right next to the corner, I couldnt do much about that but I'm happy with the results of the rest of the top.

ODdave

"Has anybody got any experience with this?" rofl

Pretty shure its was a "quality control" test performed during production- "fat guy jumps on roof"

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my NOS top was hit by a forklift... left a good size dent in it and bent in the side. all it took was some wood, a bottle jack, and about 20 minutes to make it disappear. now you cant even tell it was there.

Attachments

Spook556

I think I have the procedure. Some wood... check. A bottle of Jack... check. Laying on the seat and pushing up... okay, cab is spinning now. :-D

Thanks, everybody. I think I can git 'er done, now.

Spook

91W350

My son and I sat in the seats and shoulder pressed mine back up with our hands. We made a huge improvement. I think the bottle jack and 4x4 is probably much better. Glen

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The most common cause of "hardtop dent syndrome" was hauling camo net and concertina wire on the roof of the deuce. It was the best place to carry it where it didn't interfere with cargo loading and unloading and kept you from getting cut to pieces by that "devil wire".

It was not uncommon to see them in the motor pool with the wire and camo net already loaded on there.

steelandcanvas

It was the best place to carry it where it didn't interfere with cargo loading and unloading and kept you from getting cut to pieces by that "devil wire".
Back in the day we cut a piece of plywood to fit across the 1st and 2nd cargo cover bows, secured it to the bows, put the cargo cover back on, and placed the camo net on top of the cover. It was real nice to be able to unfold the camo net in four different directions and have the truck covered in no time, the 'ol First Shirt liked that.

dabtl

I went to Northern Tool and got one of their low cost hydraulic ram kits. I used that with 20 ton jacks and some lumber to straighten my roof.

The work went well, I learned about bending metal back into place and the ram kit was very flexible when the jack could not work because of space or angle limitations.

The most difficult dent was at the point where the mirror attaches to the cowl. Apparently, the mirror had been pushed in an inch or so there. The ram kit had the pieces to take advantage of every steering column spot and the dent came out nicely. It is almost not noticeable even without doing body work.

Oilleaker1

I did mine too, porta power with blocks of wood. Do a little at a time. Don't push it all at once. Raise it up, and tap around the area to set the metal. Don't jack up on the bands, jack to each side of them. If you jack up on the round rivit/bolts of the bands, they will make a outside outie or bolt dent!!!! A big rubber hammer worked on the side dents, worst part is the foam insulating liner gets ripped a little. That flat military paint will hide most of the problem, heck even runs look good!:-D John

AN/ARC186

"Pretty shure its was a "quality control" test performed during production- "fat guy jumps on roof"

This would explain the handwritten sign I found tucked into the insulation of my hardtop that simply stated.....

"No Fat Chicks"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks