• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'Depot Refurbish'

Armada

GL recently auctioned a group of trucks that from the pictures looked new, or nearly new. Looks like a couple guys here got one. So what exactly is the 'depot refurbish' procedure, besides a paint job and seat covers? Does anybody know to what extent a truck is gone through when turned in for a Depot Overhaul? Are there different levels based on the incoming condition of the vehicle? Or maybe a just-fix-what's-out-of-spec deal?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on what standard they use. the USMC likes to use a IRON rebuild. Inspect and replace Only as Necessary, kinda like a limited rebuild for the Army.. Others do complete tear downs. what did the dataplate say?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The Mississippi Nat. Guard has a rebuild facility at Camp Shelby.
The are now rebuilding the 900 series but when they were doing the 800's they completly rebuilt all the components, painted them and put them back together.
The ones being sold off are prob ones that never got issued before they quit sending the 800 series to Guard and Reserve units.

Armada

Depends on what standard they use. the USMC likes to use a IRON rebuild. Inspect and replace Only as Necessary, kinda like a limited rebuild for the Army.. Others do complete tear downs. what did the dataplate say?
Didn't personally inspect them, Mark. Maybe someone that did inspect them knows the data plate info. I was curious as to the depth of the overhaul. Like if the clocks are set back to zero, does that indicate a new engine? 'Hear-say" says yes, but thought someone here would be in the 'know', such as personally worked in a depot rebuild program. Sounds like it all depends....

jwaller

I know the rebuilt 818 I was personally in Va a few months back was a brand new truck. man I wish I coulda bought that one. I was told by the personnel that worked there that the units coming back from iraq would have them rebuilt and then turn them in to drmo almost the same day. thats why they had under 100 miles on them.