• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Depressing day

Napoleon_Tanerite

So I spent all day working on my M1009, and it's worse off because of it.

First thing I did was install my new dashboard. It's a decent piece, but it looks like **** right now. It's wavy and does not fit correctly around the instrument bezel. I think part of it has to do with the speaker under it, but that's not the only reason. I'm really hoping it will settle and look better after it gets some sun on it a few times.

Then we come to the REAL badness. I set about replacing the weather stripping around my windows. The old stuff was brittle and came out in small, profanity inducing pieces. After I got the old stuff out, I put the new stuff in, but it didn't go in well, it was an epic pain in the ass. And now I have new problems.

I think the regulator on the passenger side is going bad. I have to press down on the window to get it to go down, but it goes up just fine, I greased the gears and tracks and that didn't really help

And the drivers side window is off the **** track. I raged in a massive fashion when I saw that! I'm going to have to take the door appart again to fix this, and I am NOT looking forward to that.

Sometimes I regret this project.

DieselBob

We all have spells were it seems it is all going down in flames and start asking ourselves "why in the heck did I even start this. Hang in there. When you are driving down the road on a nice sunny day listening to all the rattles and noises of an old truck there will be this dumb grin on your face that no one will understand but you.

Stihl029

x2 what DieselBob said. I have been working on my '88 cherokee for three days now tomorrow will be four. It all started with a replacement t-case , replacement motor mounts, a replacement manifold, electric fans and a new radiator. well since then I have replaced half a dozone sensors (i had new spares sitting in boxes and figured what the hey, rear main seal and pan gasket, all the exhaust, a new clutch, steering reenforcment brackets, not finding the fuel o-rings on island and replacing every E-torx thing on the engine and tranny. Tomorrow I hope to get it to fire. sorry to high_jack the thread but that is how things go. Oh and I still haven't had time for the m1028 engine and tranny oils and rebuild the rear brakes cause of the add ons. older rigs can be more fun!!!:cookoo::-D

charlietango

put the tools away and go back to it the next day or later.. when things are going bad and you are pissed off they go even worse. I am a rage-o-holic so I know but I taught myself to walk away and try again when my head cools down.

I just finished replacing the front rotor on my 84 1009. I had no idea that the whole hub had to come apart and had NO idea how to do it. went through the TM's and just picked away at it (IN THE SNOW AND COLD, see my MLVW tires on M35 thread for pictures of the outdoor shop I get to work in ;) ) .. Figured it out! got it all installed, put new bearings with race, pads, caliper, rotor and when I got the wheel bolted back on I felt like I owned that truck! hang in there man. its supposed to be rewarding. that means it could get tough.

l1a1man

Do what I do when things go bad. Walk away, take a deep breath and come back and go real slow the next day. Good luck!!

mistaken1

When you installed the new rubber did you completely remove the tracks from the door?

When I did that to mine it was much easier to remove the tracks to install the rubber then put the tracks back. It took a couple of tries to get everything line up just right around the top of the door frame but it was much easier overall.

Also check the adjustment of the tracks. My drivers window would pop out when rolling it up (had to be guided by hand) until I replaced the rubber and realigned the tracks. Now it works like new.

The door rubber was much easier than the bed top seals.....

Napoleon_Tanerite

When you installed the new rubber did you completely remove the tracks from the door?

When I did that to mine it was much easier to remove the tracks to install the rubber then put the tracks back. It took a couple of tries to get everything line up just right around the top of the door frame but it was much easier overall.

Also check the adjustment of the tracks. My drivers window would pop out when rolling it up (had to be guided by hand) until I replaced the rubber and realigned the tracks. Now it works like new.

The door rubber was much easier than the bed top seals.....
no, i just slid it back into place. i figured removing/reinstalling the tracks without removing the window would be a much bigger PITA. I'm HOPING that I'm able to fix the alignment issue fairly easily once I open the driver door back up. As far as the passenger door, I don't know what I'm going to do with it, I'm inclined to just say "**** it" and leave it till I get back from deployment in May.

mistaken1

I could not get the rubber fully seated in the tracks without pulling them out of the door but I did not remove the windows.

I removed the front track (complete with the wing window) and made sure the rubber was fully seated in the track and that the metal tab was in the proper position at the top then put that track back in loosely.

Next I worked the rubber up and over the door frame then removed the rear track to make sure the rubber was fully seated.

Once I installed the rear track I adjusted them both for smooth operation. When everything was out I sprayed it the rusty spots with rust converter.

It may be that passenger side is not well aligned and binds when fully raised.

Did your doors have water dams?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do what I do when things go bad. Walk away, take a deep breath and come back and go real slow the next day. Good luck!!
:ditto:That is the best advice. Once you are stuck on a task that is giving you fits, sometimes when you take a break and come back to it a day or so later, you see another way of approaching the same task. Step back, go have a beverage, go play X-Box, go buy bullets, whatever. It will be like starting with a clean canvas when you come back to it.

justinwregier

The pains of a M1009... sometimes seem to out weigh the joy. Scan SS and you'll find youre not alone which is actually the best part about repairing these trucks! So many people on this site chime in with help and advice, other projects dont have a resource like this site!

I have my M1009 for just about a year now and it has been a PITA as much as anything I can compare it to but also the sound of the engine as I rumble down the road seems to make it all better.

I wish I was at the level of replacing weather stripping or power windows to add some advice on those projects. I can tell you though that driving your CUCV this summer with no windows even will make up for any troubles youre having now :driver:

Keep at it!

Napoleon_Tanerite

The pains of a M1009... sometimes seem to out weigh the joy. Scan SS and you'll find youre not alone which is actually the best part about repairing these trucks! So many people on this site chime in with help and advice, other projects dont have a resource like this site!

I have my M1009 for just about a year now and it has been a PITA as much as anything I can compare it to but also the sound of the engine as I rumble down the road seems to make it all better.

I wish I was at the level of replacing weather stripping or power windows to add some advice on those projects. I can tell you though that driving your CUCV this summer with no windows even will make up for any troubles youre having now :driver:

Keep at it!

Oh, you think my world is a bunch of knuckle busting fail now, wait till I get back from this deployment-- I'll be spending some of that deployment cash on an OD Iron Air Conditioner kit. I've heard those things are downright "fun" to install.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Update:

Went and screwed with the driver's window again. The rubber is aligned all the way down the track, but the window is still jumping out. I have NO CLUE as to why, nor how to fix it.

mistaken1

Update:

Went and screwed with the driver's window again. The rubber is aligned all the way down the track, but the window is still jumping out. I have NO CLUE as to why, nor how to fix it.
Before I replaced the rubber the drivers window went down fine but on the way up it popped out at the top. I had to pull it in with one hand while cranking with the other.

It is an alignment issue. Look at the bolts that hold the tracks in place. There is some room for movement when the bolts are loose. My problem was the front track was not pushed back far enough to securely retain the window as it went up.

Loosen the front track bolts and move the track around while raising and lowering the window....find the sweet spot and lock it in place.

Warren Lovell

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time!

I feel the same way about my M1009 sometimes, but for the past 6 years, it has been used just about everyday and has only let me down when I screwed with something !

mr.travo

Mistaken1 is correct. That is the easiest way to align the window after putting in new rubber. Also make sure you clean out and reapply white lithium grease to all the window track channels (the metal piece attached to the bottom of the window) and the window regulator gears. I spray silicone into ALL the window felt that was replaced and I like to hit the window regulator with dry lubricant spray (expensive but GOOD) where the shaft goes into the regulator.

After you do all of that and it's properly adjusted, it should roll up and down nicely! Remember-- It's not going to be as "easy" to roll up and down if you had missing felt or felt that was completely worn off, but it will be solid and snug.

I hope that advise makes sense for anyone else having these problems.

Travo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks