• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Desert storm color?

BIGNICK

WHAT is the correct color for the new vehicles that are being produced for the desert ? any info is greatly appreciated and pics will be posted!!!

ida34

All of our trucks stayed woodland for the whole thing. We only had one day notice then we were gone. I think pretty much most of the 18th Airborne Corp was in the same boat. We did get desert uniforms and desert camo nets but the only paint that went on the truck was the inverted V just before we marched into Iraq. I was in the 101st Airborne but my Battalion headquarters was at Fort Bragg so we marched out with the 18th Airborne Corp and the 82nd Airborne. The 101st arrived a couple of weeks later followed by the 24th Mech. I think the 24th had time to paint the equipment.

Attachments

BIGNICK

Thanks to every one for your help!!! I will be posting pics of the paint job as i go along with the fab and paint work!!!

emr

The first gulf war was a semi gloss tan, the current is a sand texture and flat, that is the correct colors, i do not have the numbers , But arvoe has as close a match as close can be for the current tan very sandy and flat, and looks perfect next to others in the same official paint, since I also have time to park my current tan deuce in the shop now and again, Allen Haage the paint man in NJ has the paint for the current tan, and is in the MV Mag...Many trucks stayed the same 3 color or even green the military is just to big to paint em all, and alot in the begining of the conflicts both had tan squares with the coalition symbol in the tan square on the doors, when there was just no time to paint the whole truck,my 925 was the first gulf war tan from the factory, But I like the current green , may do a door tan with symbol one day, i have a habit of changing paint schemes over years to keep em looking interesting... Randy

ida34

Nothing says "We're Here, Come Get Some!" more than woodland camo in a desert. :roll:
We had panel markers on the hood. We wanted to be seen. We could have been driving florescent pink trucks and result would have been the same. In fact, the panel markers were florescent pink. A battery in our battalion took an adjust round from an Iraqi field artillery battery. We had radar with us and the moment the round left their tub the radar picked it up. By the time it landed we were well into preparing an answer for them. By the time they started to fire the second adjust round we were firing back for effect. The Iraqi Captain was captured and said all of a sudden while they were preparing to fire the second adjust round everything started blowing up around them. The word spread quick in their artillery units not to fire or we would know where they were and would take the fight straight to them quickly. Believe me none of the Iraqis I saw wanted any.

BTW I never saw anything painted semigloss tan. It was Carc or nothing. The only exception was painting the inverted V on the door. 5th group always had their stuff tan all the time and they were down the road from us. They were tan carc or the 686.

saddamsnightmare

December 18th, 2009.

BIGNICK:

The M35A2 annexed as my Icon is "Saddam's Nightmare" a 1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2Wo/W and it is in the Desert Shield/Desert Storm paint, 686A Tan with Dark Brown wheel centers. When I got her from BulldogMack13, she had a mixtuire of black, green and brown wheel centers and the tires were mixed as to wear so I figure some mechanic went through and pulled the better ones for trucks still on base. This seems to have weathered to a dead flat sand color, but there does not seem to be sand texture in the paint (like WWII M-1 pot helmets and the cork incorporated into the paint to deaden glare), it just seems to be 20 years of weathering.
The truck was painted at depot overhaul 1989/1990 all 686A Tan except the inside of the cab, which is very weathered original semi-gloss OD from 1971, but the tan is just about everywhere on the truck except the engine, but the axles, tranny, transfer, driveshafts, springs and bottom of the bed and cab are tan, indicating a repaint at total tear down.
Mr. Graham above is correct that many units went in in woodland camouflage or MERDC 4 color woodland, and had to repaint the equipment in theatre, usually those vehicles dont have the bottom of the bed inside the frame rails shot, as it was not visible in normal circumstances. Other marking show up in the Operation Iraqi Freedom era (2003-), particularly the 20"X20" inverted V on the cab doors, and later unit numbers replacing the "V"'s after the Iraqi's started copying them to cause confusion and misidentification issues.
I'll bet David Doyle could do a whole history on Desert Shield/Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom paint scheme and marking variations.
Do a good paint job, it's guaranteed to pull the vets outta the woodwork with their stories, always worth hearing.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

NB: The M105A2 trailer is a 1968 Johnson Corp unit in MERDC 4 color woodland, put note the desert tan cargo cover. When I got her in May 2008, she was marked for the 120th Combat Engineers in Ockmulgee,OK, and the cargo cover was a worn out desert tan one also, chances are the 120th might have been in Desert Storm or Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure what semi-gloss means with regards to 686A tan CARC, but I am positive that 686A tan CARC is flat paint...I mean VERY flat...no sheen whatsoever. While I was not in the military so I have no firsthand knowledge, I was told this was the correct color for Desert Storm. I second (and third) what was stated above.