• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit 353 head seals

amg71

70M561
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got new seals in for the water jacket to head seal, old set that was in the block extended into the block with stainless steel tubes into the head, new ones are just a round white seal. I was told the new ones will not work on the aluminum block to cast iron head. TM9-2320-242-34P page 14 item # 7 says washer flat, water hole , big washers fit snug in the recess but the smaller ones for the front and rear jacket fit loose. Thoughts

Attachments

Last edited:

Gamagoat1

Got new seals in for the water jacket to head seal, old set that was in the block extended into the block with stainless steel tubes into the head, new ones are just a round white seal. I was told the new ones will not work on the aluminum block to cast iron head. TM9-2320-242-34P page 14 item # 7 says washer flat, water hole , big washers fit snug in the recess but the smaller ones for the front and rear jacket fit loose. Thoughts
The original seal set, with the tubes and silicone, were to prevent corrosion of the aluminum deck of the block. With the mileage you will put on it there should not be a problem using the new. I'd check with the Detroit engine parts guys around the internet, that's how I found mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks