• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit 4-53 in a deuce?

sparkylisle

what do you think? My dad's looking to get rid of his old truck that hasn't ran in years, a '78 Ford super duty with a Detroit 4-53, I believe it's supercharged, has a Jake Brake also. Needs something or other that he never got around to buying, but it still runs (or ran anyway). Loud, smoky, but very torquey. I remember reading these things had like 500 lb-ft of torque. Would this make a good choice for a deuce engine, over the old multifuel? Anybody looking for one or knows anybody looking for one? It's a good popular engine as far as swaps into pickups go, so I hate to see it scrapped.
I just returned from 5 weeks of doing volunteer work with the Israeli Army and all of the dueces had 4-53 installed instead of multi-fuels. They looked good, and the troops were happy with them.

Alredneck

Banned
I have 2 6V92s but believe they would be a PITA to install in a deuce ( ones rated at 335hp the other is 350hp not sure torque numbers ) I also have a 8V71 on the way. Thought it might be sweet in my M54 but a PITA to install. Naty ( 86 International 4dr ) is needing a new motor and either the 6V92 or 8V71 would be good swaps for it and make it a pulling powerhouse.:cookoo:

Munk

I run a 4-53 Detroit in my car hauler which is a little lighter than my duece (about 12,500 pounds). I personally think i would stay with the multifuel motor. Granted the Detroit has a turbo and a supercharger and does 18 to the gallon, i think it would be underpowered for a deuce. Just my opinion.

mudguppy

through some other forums and sites i found 140hp @ 2800rpm & 282ft-lbs @ 1560rpm for the 4-53 and 170hp @ 2500rpm & 402ft-lbs @ 1800rpm for the 4-53T. weight of each is around 1150-1200 lbs.

so the 4-53N may not be a performer, but the 'T would likely be more fun to drive. it would likely last as long as anything else in the truck and rebuild parts are wicked cheap if required.

so, the stock numbers aren't impressive, but these motors are easy to hop up and much more reliable than the MF. i'd do it for this reason so that you can get that screemin' 2-cyc sound!!!

JDToumanian

the 4-53N may not be a performer, but the 'T would likely be more fun to drive. it would likely last as long as anything else in the truck and rebuild parts are wicked cheap if required.
I'm right there with ya! I DID call NAPCO years ago to ask the price, it was around $15k but that included a new (or remanufactured?) 4-53N..... I'd like to call and ask for the price of everything EXCEPT the engine.

If my LDT fails, I'm not putting another one in my deuce.... It will either get an LDS or a 4-53T. I do prefer the Detroit.....

Jon

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original poster hasn't logged in since 2005. Still a very good thread. There is a guy 10 miles from me with a 12V71 sitting in the corner of his garage.

The hydraulic power steering is a plus too!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp2e1RKPkLA&feature=related[/media]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks