• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit 53 series Cartridge oil filter problem

dgrev

Everyone

I am getting pretty frustrated with trying to get the can to seal after changing the filter.

I removed the old gasket, which lies in a groove, installed the wide gasket that was
just like it that was supplied with the cartridge. There was also a very narrow section
gasket, but I could not see anywhere for it to go so left it out.

Now, after several removals, checking for nicks and breaks and reinstalls
I still cannot get the thing to stop leaking.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards
Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torque the can to the recommended level. Verify your oil pressure is properly regulated. Set the can on a flat surface and verify it is flat. Make sure no old gasket material remained in the groove before you installed the new one. That's all I can think of.

dgrev

Ok, thanks.

Definitely no old gasket material in groove.
Oil pressure I will need to investigate.
Face of can is flat.
Torque setting is by hand as not possible to get access with torque wrench. I
dare not do it any tighter.
The gaskets supplied with filters are a fibre type not rubber. Which does make
me wonder if that is the problem, no compression and no allowance if mounting base
is not true.

Thanks
Doug

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks