• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit 6v53 in an M35A2

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if this guy is a member here - curious about his build. I have a soft spot for Driptroits.

It looks like a Deuce chassis with an old International cab. Sounds good, though! It is not completely blasphemous, either. The 6V53 powered the M113 for example, so it did see military service. I think they are good to make noise, oil puddles, smoke and 180-270 hp.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I just love the sound of an air starter motivating an oil burner, detonator. Once you have heard one for the first time you never forget the music.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I hope someone can post one for all to see, here. I would guess most have never even heard of one. I run into one now and again in the older truck salvage yards even though some are still around on the road.

reo12

I've driven some 4,000 hours behind a 6v53 in a 1966 Diamond T boom truck. I've got the hearing damage to show for it. Still have the ole girl. I'm second owner for it. It has a 5 speed and a 4 speed aux. 1st on the aux trans is for off road only. 2-4 are for splitting each gear of the main trans. The 6v53 can out work the 6-71's but not out last them. I replaced the original engine with one that came from a Vietnam era swamp buggy - one of 4 GMC built toward the end of the war. The original engine was rated for 210hp gross and 180hp net. The military engine was no better. I've grossed 85,000 lbs towing a 4 axle lowboy trailer. We did this trip several times in the mid 80's. We could save the freight rate of $200 if I picked up 50,000lbs of packaged cement or mortar and drove 120 miles with it back to the shop. It was an exhausting trip - standing on the throttle holding against the non-assisted governor and the non stop shifting - up and down with every rise and fall of the highway. Oh, can't forget the air assisted steering which certainly didn't make life easy. You could hear the whine of the supercharger 2 miles away. The fender mounted Farr aircleaner did nothing to muffle the noise.

fleetmech

I've driven some 4,000 hours behind a 6v53 in a 1966 Diamond T boom truck. I've got the hearing damage to show for it. Still have the ole girl. I'm second owner for it. It has a 5 speed and a 4 speed aux. 1st on the aux trans is for off road only. 2-4 are for splitting each gear of the main trans. The 6v53 can out work the 6-71's but not out last them. I replaced the original engine with one that came from a Vietnam era swamp buggy - one of 4 GMC built toward the end of the war. The original engine was rated for 210hp gross and 180hp net. The military engine was no better. I've grossed 85,000 lbs towing a 4 axle lowboy trailer. We did this trip several times in the mid 80's. We could save the freight rate of $200 if I picked up 50,000lbs of packaged cement or mortar and drove 120 miles with it back to the shop. It was an exhausting trip - standing on the throttle holding against the non-assisted governor and the non stop shifting - up and down with every rise and fall of the highway. Oh, can't forget the air assisted steering which certainly didn't make life easy. You could hear the whine of the supercharger 2 miles away. The fender mounted Farr aircleaner did nothing to muffle the noise.
What model Diamond T? My big project waiting in the wings is my 1969 Diamond Reo C10142. I put a bunch of miles on her back in the day with the original Gold Comet 6 cylinder gasser... and people think the multifuel is sluggish on the hills, lol!

I also put a bunch of miles on an MCI bus with an 8-71/ Allison back some time ago, 40 mph up hills, 70 on flat ground, absolutely pinned to the floor the entire time. The effect was a bit different in the busses though. With all that space and steel between you and the engine all you got was a long, continuous, sleep inducing hum. Im forever surprised that greyhound drivers didn't have more accidents from falling asleep at the wheel.

If something ever happens to my multi, I really would look around for a jimmy for her. I think it would be nice with maybe a 6-71 with jakes and a 6 speed overdrive roadranger... If you can find such things anymore.

13foxtrot

Not sure if this guy is a member here - curious about his build. I have a soft spot for Driptroits.

It looks like a Deuce chassis with an old International cab. Sounds good, though! It is not completely blasphemous, either. The 6V53 powered the M113 for example, so it did see military service. I think they are good to make noise, oil puddles, smoke and 180-270 hp.
Its a 1947 kb7 international cab. Got a newer video on you tube. If you guys want to check it out. 20200502_135847.jpg

pjwest03

My sister and her significant other own a trucking and heavy haul business. I get roped into these adventures from time to time when I visit them. That engine came from a 400KW genset.

Any detroit is a noisy beast. 16 cylinders is a whole new level of noise with no pipes on it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you imagine building that and making it look as innocent as possible? Like a stock, wimpy B-Mack Thermodyne single axle tractor....hehehe...until you open it up!
I can only dream...because if my wife sees me bring home another truck it better be a camper because i'd have to live in it!

pjwest03

The debate was between a B-Model or a Super-Liner. It's just doesn't fit under a B hood. Not even a B81. A Super-Liner could hide it with some cheating here and there and look stock. Last I knew, they were aiming toward a B cab rat-rod style.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks