• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit 8V92 vs. Cummins NTC-400

bighoss0331

i would go the Detroit or CAT.ive owend 2 cummins and they left me onside of the road.dont like their powerband or any thing about them.guess you could say im one of the few guys that goes like to be cummin

promodhotrod

The only thing that would put a ntc400 over a detroit 8v92 is price. ntc 400 is 6v92 territory, and not in the same ball game as an 8v92. I have both and like both engines, but you would have to be awfull patient to move anyting I've driven with an 8v92 with a ntc400. For your research I would suggest checking out yachts in the 60-100 foot range, you may find an ISX or two some cat 3408's alot of 8v92's alot of 12v92's and I'd bet 0 855 cummins. There is no emmision benefits to the ntc400 either, however the newer 4 strokes are capable of being "cleaner".

obee1kubota

LOL until I choked

I have driven OTR and I always hated a "double breasted Detriot".

They have to be driven wide azz open to get anything out of them.

I especially hated the 318......if it was not tuned right you could say "hill" on the CB radio and the truck would drop 20 MPH.

On the other hand the fastest truck I ever saw was a long nosed Mack with a V-12 Detriot.
I got my doors blown off by it while I was running 105 in a long hood Western Star with a 3406 B Model Cat and 15 speed double overdrive. He was hauling a bull wagon and passed me like I was backing up heading west just out of El Paso, TX.

The other bull haulers said he had killed more cows than Hormel.
You should be a stand up comedian!

135gmc

It also depends where you will be driving. Probably the best engine for world-wide parts availability and repairs is the old 6-71. They were used in WWII, and they are everywhere you look. They aren't the most efficient, they aren't the quietest, but they are durable if you keep the speed down.

On a modern engine, Cummins is probably the best bet. Cat is good, but even more $$ than Cummins

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Cummins ISX 400-565hp and 1450-1850ftlbs of pure muscle. vs the 1250ftlbs from the 8v

spicergear

The Detroits in marine applications are way up on power with twin turbos and intercooling. It's nothing to see an over 700hp Detroit 8V92 shoving pleasure yachts through the waves. Yes, it's a different comparison, but it's got more load on it and making more hp the whole time...plus they usually have the marine versions spinning more rpm than the truck versions. If anything, marine use is a testament to their durability.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks