• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit diesel , 92 series, 8V in a 5ton

madsam

Has anyone tried this to put a Detroit diesel , 92 series, 8V into a 5 ton frame. Would it even fit? It looks like it could fit as the length is shorter that the cummins 250.

M1075

madsam said:
Has anyone tried this to put a Detroit diesel , 92 series, 8V into a 5 ton frame. Would it even fit? It looks like it could fit as the length is shorter that the cummins 250.
Wow, that is quite an engine for a 5 ton. It would be cool if you could pull it off!

madsam

RE: Re: Detroit diesel , 92 series, 8V in a 5ton

The width is what worries me. I might have to take out any heater stuff. But then again if I did this, my hair would be on fire anyway... :twisted:

madsam

What is the difference between a v8-92 and a v8-71. I think I herd the 92 is 92 cubes per cylinder. So is the 71 -71cubes/cylinder?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Correct. You gonna run the 8V92 Screaming Jimmy HEMTT engine and Alison tranny in your wrecker?

JAsher45

yeah the 71 and 92 are cubes per cylinder... that would be a great engine swap wow the torque... be like dropping in a 903 cummins :driver:

kcimb

Re: RE: Re: Detroit diesel , 92 series, 8V in a 5ton

JAsher45 said:
yeah the 71 and 92 are cubes per cylinder... that would be a great engine swap wow the torque... be like dropping in a 903 cummins :driver:

If I"m correct, the 903 cummins powers the AAV...yeah, its gonna scream.!

madsam

Not my wrecker, but I was looking at one for my other truck. I got a parts truck, with no engine or tranny, put mot everything else is there. It is in good shape. 4K on the clock. I was just thinking it would be a shame to part it out.

The wrecker already has a turbo sitting there to put on.

AMGeneral

If you decide to go through with this project,try and find a late production 8V92 as the earlier ones were prone to leak water into the crankcase at various points internally.Oh and be sure to add a extra oil tank for the replacment oil for what leaks out!!!

They don't call em Driptroits for nothing!!!

madsam

I gave away an old school buss last year with an Alison 4 speed in it. I wonder if that would have worked. I wonder if that guy still has the tranny.. Would this engine shred that tranny?

P.S. This is what you get when you are the type of person who hates to tear apart things and scrap them, then buys a parts truck. I should have just bought the parts......
P.S.S -- I talked to the wife, and she is going to take my credit card away and send me to AA.. Auctions Anonymous... But I am still married..;-)

madsam

Which Allison Transmission model would some one suggest? There are a lot of them out there. I was also thingking of an Eaton 8 or 10 speed.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I haven't played with the larger Detroits before, but I sure liked the 3-53 in my old Gama Goat. It always started on the first revolution, even after sitting around for a couple years. It sounded really cool, too!

I don't have the skill and experience to play engine-swappy like some of y'all yet, but maybe someday...

Dodgeman1941

I would have been inclinded to use a silver series 6v-92 TA. As mentioned, an 8v-92 is huge hp for what your doing. But hey, I'm all for a 426 Hemi in a mini Cooper! Good Luck and keep us in the loop on how the project is comming along.

madsam

If you put a Hemi in a minicooper, there would be no place left to sit... :eek: Maybe on the roof..

5tonpuller

all you would end up with it a 5 ton that will go up hill just as fast as down hill. Probably at 40-45 mph.
Unless you had a trans. with over drive in it.
My $0.05 worth.