• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit locker question

MarcusOReallyus

I should be in town tomorrow so I guess I'll get the stuff and check it out but it might be next week before I get time to yank the cover. But i should have time to try jacking up the back and try the tire turning thing.

This here is my truck I thought yall might like some pics

Yeah, we're always up for pics! Nice truck!

Is that bed a dumper?

CUCVLOVER

I tested the diff yesterday by doing donuts in some mud and it spun both tires with gusto and I stopped and started a few times and it acted like a limited slip. Then I tried something else. I put the trans in drive and rolled forward then I put it in neutral with light breaking I put it in reverse and I heard a CLICK followed by the dong when all the slack is coming out of the rearend.
What is the click?

Skinny

Its tough to figure out what "acts like a limited slip" really describes. Is it both tires spinning exactly the same speed or both spin but one more aggresively. I don't believe the 14 bolt ever had a gear driven or clutch type limited slip. Only a Detroit or Gov-Lok as far as I'm aware. Both will spin both equally when locked up. The Gov-Lok typically lets out a loud bang when disengaging.

Just pull the cover to see what you have. Nothing short of that is guessing. Realistically, the Gov-Lok will feel like an open diff when you jack the rearend for inspection. The Detroit just feels like something is broken which is normal.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its tough to figure out what "acts like a limited slip" really describes. Is it both tires spinning exactly the same speed or both spin but one more aggresively. I don't believe the 14 bolt ever had a gear driven or clutch type limited slip. Only a Detroit or Gov-Lok as far as I'm aware. Both will spin both equally when locked up. The Gov-Lok typically lets out a loud bang when disengaging.

Just pull the cover to see what you have. Nothing short of that is guessing. Realistically, the Gov-Lok will feel like an open diff when you jack the rearend for inspection. The Detroit just feels like something is broken which is normal.
It is the only way to know for sure and it doesn't take any longer than reading through 3 pages of guesses in this thread .

CUCVLOVER

Hello all.
First things first I know I asked y'all a question and you tried to help me and I just sort of left all of you hanging for that I am sorry. Between setting up my grandma a new place to live, clearing some land, a small construction project, wiring in, plumbing, trying to get the flooring replaced having problems with that, moving furniture, installing appliances and making things elderly friendly. Crazy weather, school, work, hunting and trapping and plus being forgetful, this upgrade to my truck got put on the back burner to the point of being forgotten about and with it this thread. I know it was wrong of me to just forget about y'all so I am sorry. Please accept my apologies.
I greatly appreciate all of the information that everyone here has given me and I know I have probably frustrated most of you by just dropping the thread.

But I plan to do the tire turning test by Saturday if the weather is nice enough. If I don't get done by it will probably be the weekend after that if I'm lucky.

So if I don't post my findings by Friday night please yell at me.
I do plan to put a Yukon grizzly locker in it some time by summer.

CUCVLOVER

OK. I just did the test and with transfer case in neutral the tire and drive shaft will turn as long as I want it to.
With the transfer case in 2 high when I turn on tire the other turns in the opposite. So I guess it has a gov-lock. I would pull the cover but I don't have the gaskit or any oil for it and I don't know when I will have time to get it.
Thanks for the help and again my apologies for leaving y'all hanging for so long

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks