• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit locker

cheiser666

Its a differential lock. Both rear wheels spin when you loose traction.

As compared to an open differential that only one tire spins when you loose traction.

pizzaworld

Ok thanks for googling that for me. I understand now what it is now. My next question is, is this common on 4x4s, or is it special/expensive/awful...what does it mean for me?

Is there anything you can tell me about it that google can't?

KsM715

Ok thanks for googling that for me. I understand now what it is now. My next question is, is this common on 4x4s, or is it special/expensive/awful...what does it mean for me?

Is there anything you can tell me about it that google can't?

What are your intentions with the truck?

If its primarily for driving on road (and this is your first time with a locker) then it can be problamatic for you. The reason I say this is, a locker will cause greater tire wear and can be "surprising" on wet/icy roads. If you want to off-road the truck and its just a toy then a locker will be a bonus.

mudman

A locker in the 4 wheel drive world is Heaven sent. It can get you throught the mess or leave you really stuck. It clicks , bangs, slips tires, and oh wears tires a little more tha normal. It will not except two different size tires. If you are a "Wheeler" a locker is the only way to go. Put a chain on one wheel and go just as far as the guy with two chains on. little scary on snow and ice, but point her straight and every thing is good. It's one reason I drive a M1028 and also for the limited slip in the front.!!!

Onestar

Cross thread

If you ever have to cross thread a ditch or something of that sort you will want/need a locker. Without one in the rear the moment one of your wheels loses contact if you have no momentum you will pretty much be stuck. The reason I mention cross threading is because usually one front and one rear will be floating therefore those floating wheels will be the ones spinning and you will be stuck. Also in muddy situations they are great because instead of one spinning in thin mud you will have both helping. I am mostly referring to the rear with a locker as its more common to have one in the rear only or both instead of just the front.

They go by many names, depending on the maker of the differential and what make/model of vehicle they are found in. i.e. Eaton Locker. Detroit. Auburn Locker. No-spin. Trak-Lok. Truetrac. Gov-Lok (Found in M1009's, and is more of an automatic locker/limited-slip combo than an actual locker). Some people also call lockers posi or posi-traction (originally GM name for their version of limited slip).

Lockers are fairly common. They aren't some super rare device specific to military vehicles. Most modern 4x4's have limited slip differentials, which are more common. They are similar to lockers but smoother operating and allow some slippage between tires.

The reason it can be a little surprising/dangerous in slippery road conditions is that it can cause the vehicle to spinout when it engages because is causes equal power to be distributed to both wheels. Both wheels spin at the same speed instead of just one spinning with a "dead" wheel keeping it straighter.

cucv1833

Lockers are fairly common. They aren't some super rare device specific to military vehicles. Most modern 4x4's have limited slip differentials, which are more common. They are similar to lockers but smoother operating and allow some slippage between tires.

A few newer 4x4s like my 2011 F-150 SCREW 4x4 have electronic rear locker( GKN-made e-locker ). You have to put it in 4wd before you can activate the rear locker though and it automaticlly shuts off if you go over 30 Mph

I wish I had a front locker in my M1009.

^ Yeah... Those are pretty idiot proof and safe.

I would imagine a locker in the front of a short wheelbase truck like a 1009 would make turning on pavement absolutely dreadful, especially if you also installed a true locker in the rear. You'd be hopping and jerking all over the place. And front tires would be worn out before you know it. You would definitely need a selectable (Air/Electric) locker if you put one in the front. Or just stick to a limited slip front diff, like what the M1028 has.

But it would be a monster offroad.

5moker

Very informative. Love the video. Just out of curiosity... My M1009 rear locker has become constantly engaged. When I used to make U-turns n such on the highway the rear end would disengage an axle. Suddenly, well after crossing a deep and steep inclined ditch at an angle, my locker won't disengage. Could this be a fluid issue. About to remove the cover to inspect and change fluid. I have tried jacking it up and spinning a tire and within a half revaluation it is locked to the other wheel. I have tried backing straight. Backing up turning the wheels both ways, and doing the same in drive. The locker engages and does not disengage. Makes a perfect circle in the grass from the inside wheel spinning faster. This has become my go to daily driver with a family of 5. I have rubber coated the underside and inside. Added truck bed mats cut to fit the floors and run my tires at 27 psi. Every one in my fam loves it over my 03 Silverado crew and my wife's 09 escape limited. I installed a hummer 6.2 and get excellent performance and fuel economy. Very comfortable on current configuration but cant hang with the tire squeal and jerking in a turn. The locker is important due to the fact we are surrounded by 4 wheeling country. I regularly pull new trucks lifted running 35 to 38 inch tires out of a bog half a mile down the street (on my 31's). I get so many looks, questions and offers on the truck. I lucked out with my 84. Perfect body. In and out of storage since 89. 20 k miles. Someone blew the head gaskets at some point and I picked up the hummer motor for 1200 with 10k miles. The differential problem started Friday and want it back yesterday. Any tips or similar stories? Words of wisdom? Tempted to drive on but something is different and don't want to complicate the issue.

Skinny

That video is not a 100% true, the unlocking mechanism will only work when a small amount of torque is applied. Go around a turn and throttle up, the clutch will engage...this is the fun part :)

I don't think it would be unbearable in a short wheelbase rig such as an M1009. Automatic trucks tend to make these much more bearable and smooth in operation. Manual trucks especially ones that have a very tight grabby clutch will make you want to pull your hair out while driving. I almost prefer a full spool with a manual trans instead of the detroit unless you use the rig for towing or load it to full GVW.

It's amazing that these diffs showed up at factory options decades ago. I don't think a manufacturer could get away with it anymore. Since everything now requires traction control, ABS, skid, tire pressure sensors, and now for 2015 a rear backup camera...the feds pretty much killed these as a factory option. Thank god electronic locking diffs still exist!

Skinny

Very informative. Love the video. Just out of curiosity... My M1009 rear locker has become constantly engaged. When I used to make U-turns n such on the highway the rear end would disengage an axle. Suddenly, well after crossing a deep and steep inclined ditch at an angle, my locker won't disengage. Could this be a fluid issue. About to remove the cover to inspect and change fluid. I have tried jacking it up and spinning a tire and within a half revaluation it is locked to the other wheel. I have tried backing straight. Backing up turning the wheels both ways, and doing the same in drive. The locker engages and does not disengage. Makes a perfect circle in the grass from the inside wheel spinning faster. This has become my go to daily driver with a family of 5. I have rubber coated the underside and inside. Added truck bed mats cut to fit the floors and run my tires at 27 psi. Every one in my fam loves it over my 03 Silverado crew and my wife's 09 escape limited. I installed a hummer 6.2 and get excellent performance and fuel economy. Very comfortable on current configuration but cant hang with the tire squeal and jerking in a turn. The locker is important due to the fact we are surrounded by 4 wheeling country. I regularly pull new trucks lifted running 35 to 38 inch tires out of a bog half a mile down the street (on my 31's). I get so many looks, questions and offers on the truck. I lucked out with my 84. Perfect body. In and out of storage since 89. 20 k miles. Someone blew the head gaskets at some point and I picked up the hummer motor for 1200 with 10k miles. The differential problem started Friday and want it back yesterday. Any tips or similar stories? Words of wisdom? Tempted to drive on but something is different and don't want to complicate the issue.
Unless you did an axle swap, you don't have a detroit locker. You have a gov lock which is about as reliable as a pair of used flip flops. Sounds like something came undone. I will tell you that the gov lock compared to the full detroit locker is complex in operation and not exactly easy/cheap to repair. If it really is broken, I would either have someone replace it with a better limited slip like a trutrac or upgrade to better axles. I personally would not spend a whole lot of money on a 10 bolt axle. The carriers are weak, the tubes bend easily which could be causing your issue, and mostly don't last well under abuse or bigger tires. The good news is that you could probably score a 3.08 10 bolt pretty cheap.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That video is not a 100% true, the unlocking mechanism will only work when a small amount of torque is applied. Go around a turn and throttle up, the clutch will engage...this is the fun part :)

I believe that vid is correct and they will disengage whenever there is a differance between the two axles speeds. If you want to go easy and not wareout the paws then try and let off the throttel when in a tight turn. If you realy want to hear them click with a bang then power up while under a tight turn on pavement. I would not do it to much as you will be replacing the Locker as you will wear out the ramps.

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

Many types of lockers based on what causes them to lock up...mechanical, electric, air...

If you have a "2 wheel drive" vehicle its really 1 wheel drive unless you have lockers
If you have a "4 wheel drive" vehicle it's really a 2 wheel drive unless you have lockers

any serious off road vehicle needs lockers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks