• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce - 1, Honda Passport - 0

TheOxman

So, here's what happened, according to Crestview PD. The guy was driving down the street going about 40. He became distracted because he "saw a dog" and swerved into THREE yards. Went into the first yard and one the way hit a street sign. He then went into the second yard and nailed a mailbox. Coming into my yard, he started coming up towards the house and flew over some big decorative stones.

The police said there were no signs of him using his brakes. So this guy hit the deuce at close to 35 miles per hour. What you see above is the damage, or lack there of, on the deuce. That's it. A slightly bent fender and a blown tube.

His car? I don't have pics, but it's totaled. Blew out a tire, his radiator is just destroyed and it sprayed fluid all over the deuce. There is glass from his windows and lights all over the place.

The deuce, a parked vehicle, totaled this guy's Honda Passport. They had to get a tow truck to tow him away. Apparently, HE TRIED TO LEAVE THE SCENE, but a neighbor saw him, called the cops, and called me. It didn't matter, the deuce had done enough damage to take care of him.

If I didn't go out tonight, he would have t-boned my Explorer. If I had taken my deployed roomie's car out of the garage today like I was planning, his car would have been wrecked. If the guy was five feet higher, he would have smashed the boat.

Attachments

TheOxman

So I have a question. The damage I noticed is this:

- Exterior of fender is bent up inside itself
- Underneath the fender, there is some bent steel
- Turn signal light cables severed
- Turn signal plate sort of popped off the fender
- Flat tire
- Not sure of any damage to the winch bumper

How should I go about fixing this? Should I just find someone to bend the metal back in place, or should I like at buying a new fender? Where could I get a new fender? Should I request a new tube for the tire or a whole new tire, with or without a rim? Also, since the fender is bent, some paint is missing. Should I get it repainted?

I've never been in any kind of accident and I'm sure the USAA rep is not going to know what to do with this.

Attachments

TheOxman

He had not. He was 21 and had two friends in the car. The cops believe he hit a rut on the side of the road that pulled him off the road. Still, why didn't he hit the brakes?

rideni

Don't worry about fixing it, thats for his insurance company to take care of. I would want two new front tires as they should be replaced in axle pairs, plus a new rim on the one hit, new fender, and paint matched paint job new turn signal and wiring repaired, and the winch bumper looked at by a professional. All told I would not involve your insurance company as you may find yourself suddently dropped

TheOxman

Don't worry about fixing it, thats for his insurance company to take care of. I would want two new front tires as they should be replaced in axle pairs, plus a new rim on the one hit, new fender, and paint matched paint job new turn signal and wiring repaired, and the winch bumper looked at by a professional. All told I would not involve your insurance company as you may find yourself suddently dropped
Yeah, his company (USAA) is sending someone out to look at it on Tuesday. Any idea on how much all of that would cost? It seems like a good list. They're not going to be able to just look up in a manual how much those parts would cost as if it were a normal vehicle, so I'm looking to sort of have an estimate/sources ready for them.

kennys@wi.rr.com

When the teen ager tried to go against my wife's Excursion I had to track his car down to get pictures of it. But it's part of my job at work to investigate accidents so I've been trained well in what to do when that happens.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
He was 21 and had two friends in the car. The cops believe he hit a rut on the side of the road that pulled him off the road. Still, why didn't he hit the brakes?
My intuition tells me that there was some sort of distraction going on (texting, yakking to his buddies, cell phone, etc). At the very least it was poor driving skills.

The fact that there appeared to be little or no braking tells me that...... "you just can't fix stupid".

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact Memphis Equipment for prices on "new" replacement parts. As you know you just can't go to a salvage yard and get replacement parts.....:wink::wink::wink:. You won't find a body shop that will touch the fender because of the CARC paint and the associated hazards.

And as you can't match the paint, the whole truck needs repainting.

Lets see:

new fender
new bumpers
new fender support
new turn signal
new front wiring harness
new tire and tube

And the labor to replace the items

Last edited:

WarrenD

I agree with the above, get a fender support and get 2 front tires (as said, always in pairs) This is a truck and you take your responsibility for driving a large vehicle seriously. You are seriously safety minded when you operate your vehicle, so everything must be safe. I'd reserve the right to have a truck mechanic look it over to insure the frame is ok, and I'd check the wheel bearings, tie rod ends and kingpin on the right side (at minimum, I'd insist on checking the left as well as the impact forces are a side load and this would transfer to the left.) I'd also check the suspension, spring mounts, shackles etc.
When dealing with the other insurance company, I'd insist that my truck be completely gone through (at least the front end).

Contact Memphis Equipment for prices on "new" replacement parts. As you know you just can't go to a salvage yard and get replacement parts.....:wink::wink::wink:. You won't find a body shop that will touch the fender because of the CARC paint and the associated hazards.

Lets see:

new fender
new bumpers
new fender support
new turn signal
new front wiring harness
new tire and tube

Give Wiggins Kustomz a call in Enterprise AL. He painted my M1009 CARC and does great body work. Thats not too far from you. Talk to ryan and tell him eric sent you.

Dodge man

Lets see:

new fender
new bumpers
new fender support
new turn signal
new front wiring harness
new tire and tube

I would take it to one of the places that specializes in repair of MVs if possible. It might cost an arm and leg but that's HIS and his Insurance companies problem! If not there then a place that specializes in repairing large trucks. I'm sure they know how to fix it right and they have the equipment handle large heavy trucks. But get at least three estimates. Or better yet get more than three and then you can send in the three highest ones. :twisted: Maybe they'll just pay you in cash and let you fix it.:razz: Don't forget to include the price of a new CARC paint job, that'll bring up the price!

armytruck63

I would make sure that right front wheel is not bent - yes it can happen. It would also be a good idea to have the wheel alignment (toe-in) checked as well.

Heavysteven

I would take photo's and send them and information to a dealer in the area. Get a estimate for the repair. Submit it to the insurance company. Keep the money and repair it myself.

Good Luck

I want photo's of the honda!!! :driver:

mistaken1

By all means check for hidden suspension damage.....

Jeff Spicoli: [driving and stoned] People on 'ludes should not drive.

I wonder if the kid was hitting signs and mailboxes on purpose when he lost control and hit a deuce....

pyrogod117

Well, since I deal with accidents constantly and have to piece them together for my report to the hospital, I'd say he was distracted, hit the sign, and then panicked and never hit the brakes. We had a similar accident where a panicked driver floored a passenger bus through a huge strip mall parking lot, killing a lady and taking out at least 5 cars through 3 separate rows, and blowing out a support column.

pcblakeley

don't throw that weed sprayer away, build yourself a presurized brake bleeder for the duece!

Sorry to hear about the damage, glad you were out.