• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce - 1, Honda Passport - 0

rmgill

Having almost done this myself as a stupid teenager (1.) I can surmise that the teen and 2 friends were definitely distracted and the driver was not 'driving'. Looks like he froze. I managed to NOT freeze and not hit anything substantial myself.

I'm glad I got over that stupid REAL fast.

1. I managed to get away with busting JUST a mailbox and a split rail fence, which I all replaced myself, much to the surprise of one of the absent home owners who hadn't noticed the damage AND was doubly happy that I actually came back with the rails from Home Depot.

paulfarber

Good luck getting all new stuff. You are entitled to the VALUE of the parts. Not the NEW COST. You could sue the driver directly and not deal with the insurance... but if the driver (or his parents if under 18) has no money that could backfire. Its not like its a just off the lot 2010 Lexus. Just hope you have a lazy adjuster who doesn't want the fight.

PsycoBob

Value + installation. Does the estimate include towing a non-drivable vehicle (possible steering/frame damage) to the shop? That'd run a few hundred, plus tire/rim/tube/flap- and some shops charge LOTS extra for 'split rim' tires. Feel free to point out the cost of Sherwin-williams CARC paint the the correct color codes.. and the minimum order size.

Of course, the adjuster may notice that it's cheaper to replace the whole truck than to buy a few parts... so offer to accept a 'used' parts truck if they can find it. :D

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
USAA and most all the big guys are notorious for using used parts for a fix.

If they want to hem and haw, find an independent insurance appraiser/investigator. If USAA doesnt want to co-operate, have them write up the claim, to get what you NEED to repair said damage.

When an insurance company doesnt want to play and someone brings them an independent appraisal, it opens their eyes real fast.

Good Luck!

NRG

Good luck getting all new stuff. You are entitled to the VALUE of the parts. Not the NEW COST. You could sue the driver directly and not deal with the insurance... but if the driver (or his parents if under 18) has no money that could backfire. Its not like its a just off the lot 2010 Lexus. Just hope you have a lazy adjuster who doesn't want the fight.
Actually that's not true. You are entitled to new parts in a situation like this. This is something the insurance companies have been screwing people over with for years. Theoxman doesn't have a contract with that car owners insurance. Since he doesn't have a contract and didn't agree upon the terms of fixing a vehicle with the other insurance, then there are no guidelines.

If it was his own insurance then when he signed up with his insurance he also agreed to the terms of his insurance with fixing the damages. Most insurances say if you damage your car then you are entitled to used or aftermarket parts, if those aren't available then you will receive new OEM parts. But that is what you agree upon when signing up with that particular insurance.

I have gone through this situation many times because I live in a city with mostly old people that shouldn't be driving. Also my best friend is an insurance adjuster and I bounce stuff off of him all the time. I recently had an elderly lady run into my 2006 GTO and went only through her insurance. Her insurance wanted to do the same thing. First they wanted to bondo it, I refused. Then they wanted to use aftermarket or used parts, I refused. Now there is a brand new OEM fender and bumper on the car, all because I don't have a contract with that insurance and I don't have to abide by their policy.

saddamsnightmare

March 24th, 2010.

When you figure what all of us must pay for insurance collectively on our collections vehicles in a year, I figure the OP's probably due whatever repairs his truck needs to make it right. Personally, in most states there is a minimum required insurance coverage, so if young puppy busted up his parents Passport and YOUR truck, and he ain't got insurance to cover.... Get a nice, very hungry, Lawyer and set him loose.. I believe the consquences in most states can go as high as a lien on the property of the parents to make restitution.
Sad to say, Stupid reproduces only stupid, to paraphrase one of Wreckerman's sayings, and the truck was parked in your driveway.....What if it had been your house instead of your truck.... Used parts, Bosh... If it ain't my insurance company paying it is gonna be primo NOS or equivalent. My insurance company has a non reducing declared value on my trucks when I insured them, and they are set high enough that complete replacement with equivalent mileage and condition vehicles are covered if necessary. Unimogs aren't cheap to fix with Mercedes Benz parts......
Just my .02 worth of rant.... Good luck and leave them not a leg to stand on.:shock:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:twisted:

moleary

He's entitled to have the vehicle restored to its pre-accident condition or better, if pre-accident condition is not possible. He's also entitled in many states to diminshed value -although not likely for a deuce.

Check your state law for details, and don't take advice on the internet, unless its from me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks