• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce 12v conversion

Ragnorokschariot

I'm having the same run in everywhere. I want to convert mine to 12v for a few reasons. First one is availability we live in a 12v world now. Second is availability of parts as is I do not have to order anything I can go into a parts store. 3rd is that I wAnt to be able to salvage parts from anything in a SHTF scenario and not worry about converters and such. The only people that tell me not to are mainly purists. if 24v is so great then why isn't everything 24v?? Almost all semi trucks stopped and went to 12v around 1994. As long as everything is hooked up properly there's no reason not too.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To deliver the same power at 12v as is delivered at 24v you have to double the amperage. Double amps = double the waste heat = less efficient.

I can see advantage to having a 12/24 system to use 12v items. I can see absolutely no advantage to removing 24v items and replacing with 12v.

pjwest03

To deliver the same power at 12v as is delivered at 24v you have to double the amperage. Double amps = double the waste heat = less efficient.

I can see advantage to having a 12/24 system to use 12v items. I can see absolutely no advantage to removing 24v items and replacing with 12v.
Double the amperage also means stepping up the wire sizes to avoid that waste heat becoming a fire problem.

rustystud

I'm having the same run in everywhere. I want to convert mine to 12v for a few reasons. First one is availability we live in a 12v world now. Second is availability of parts as is I do not have to order anything I can go into a parts store. 3rd is that I wAnt to be able to salvage parts from anything in a SHTF scenario and not worry about converters and such. The only people that tell me not to are mainly purists. if 24v is so great then why isn't everything 24v?? Almost all semi trucks stopped and went to 12v around 1994. As long as everything is hooked up properly there's no reason not too.
That's wrong about the semi-trucks all going to 12 volt. There are still plenty that use 24 volts . Also all the busses still use 24 volts. Some are even using 48 volts now.

Crazyguyla

I haven't read this post in a long time, but I have to laugh. I understand the increase in amperage, but I think that only applies if one is trying to us 12v to spin up something 24v. I could be wrong tho. Having had to replace both my front and rear harnesses on my deuce, I know the wires are plenty stout enough to handle anything a 12v system can draw. My Jeep has smaller gauge wires for lighting and such, just larger gauge for wiper motors and such. I think I have double 00 gauge wires for positive and negative battery cables, the joys of once working at a truck shop. Both connect directly to the starter. Since I have a gasser, I don't have to overcome all that compression load of a multifuel. I've already looked into converting my deuce to 12v to keep replacement parts cheap. 24v bulbs themselves cost big $$$.. Besides running an 12v alternator, switching to a 12v starter, and putting and internally resistance ignition coil in the distributor housing and removing the dropdown resistor in the coil. I'll just have mechanical gauges to run. Unless the engine has electronic controls on it, it doesn't care what the voltage is. The stepdown resistor in the distributor dropped the voltage from 24v to 6v, that explains some of the problems with it. I would love to keep my deuce 24v, but my finances just wont allow it. I'll spend the big $$ upfront to convert it, then work with the residual savings over the years. Replacing a 12v headlight is much cheaper than a 24v one. Hopefully, I'll get my deuce in Florida before the end of the year.

Marcus

rustystud

I haven't read this post in a long time, but I have to laugh. I understand the increase in amperage, but I think that only applies if one is trying to us 12v to spin up something 24v. I could be wrong tho. Having had to replace both my front and rear harnesses on my deuce, I know the wires are plenty stout enough to handle anything a 12v system can draw. My Jeep has smaller gauge wires for lighting and such, just larger gauge for wiper motors and such. I think I have double 00 gauge wires for positive and negative battery cables, the joys of once working at a truck shop. Both connect directly to the starter. Since I have a gasser, I don't have to overcome all that compression load of a multifuel. I've already looked into converting my deuce to 12v to keep replacement parts cheap. 24v bulbs themselves cost big $$$.. Besides running an 12v alternator, switching to a 12v starter, and putting and internally resistance ignition coil in the distributor housing and removing the dropdown resistor in the coil. I'll just have mechanical gauges to run. Unless the engine has electronic controls on it, it doesn't care what the voltage is. The stepdown resistor in the distributor dropped the voltage from 24v to 6v, that explains some of the problems with it. I would love to keep my deuce 24v, but my finances just wont allow it. I'll spend the big $$ upfront to convert it, then work with the residual savings over the years. Replacing a 12v headlight is much cheaper than a 24v one. Hopefully, I'll get my deuce in Florida before the end of the year.

Marcus
You have your thinking backwards. Lets be honest here. How many bulbs do you go through ? Instead of spending hundreds of dollars to convert to a 12 volt system, why not buy some spare bulbs ? They are actually quite cheap on the internet. I bought a pack of 24 for each light years ago and still haven't used even half of them. Also if you want to go modern, just buy some LED replacement bulbs. They all work from 9 volts to 33 volts.

Totally agree with rustystud. 24v light bulb costs are negligible when compared to a voltage conversion. Also, LED lights are affordable now and you won't have to worry about replacing them for a very long time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks