• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce 3053A Transmission pops out of 3rd and 5th

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
All comments and expressions of sympathy are welcome.
You're doing it the right way. You're going to be a 3053 expert, or at least moderately knowledgeable when you're done. You'll be able to help other people in the hobby diagnose and repair/rebuild theirs.

It's easy to swap in a good takeout (I've done it). But one day, they're gonna' dry up and we'll be rebuilding them whenever they fail.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obviously there was enough heat built up to ruin other parts, too...

At this point I'd recommend to replace the mainshaft plus 2nd gear, as well.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Obviously there was enough heat built up to ruin other parts, too...

At this point I'd recommend to replace the mainshaft plus 2nd gear, as well.
Time to call Tom................ :)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I said...m-35Tom overdrive kit...comes with new main shaft and new 5th gear...second has to come off anyway, just drill the oil holes in the new one before mounting....add any bearings you might want at this time and Bob's your uncle...

dikwks

Update: Sorry it took so long. Last week, a trans came up for sale, and I snatched it up as well as a radiator. It took a couple of days to get there and back, then another couple to check the takeout and get it installed. Just finished installing the floor plates yesterday. It seemed fine on visual inspection, and the backlash was in spec. It drives and shifts well.

When I asked about the model number, the fella told me that it was a 3053 on the tag, and not a 3053A. I verified with him over the phone that the shift pattern was correct, and continued on hoping for some kind of discrepancy that would explain the mismatch. I figured if nothing else, I could use it for parts; the price was the same as just two of the parts I would need to repair the old one. When I arrived, we turned it over and the output shaft turned over more in fifth than it did in fourth when shifted in the correct pattern. This is the tag that was on it:
ReplTransTag.jpg
Who knew the Brits made transmissions?

I was surprised that the parts needed are available and only cost about $700. As soon as funds allow, I'll be getting them and reassembling the trans. It doesn't make any sense to just to trash the old one given that all of the other parts seem to be in pretty good shape. I'll post up when it happens.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................Who knew the Brits made transmissions?...........
Here is a (very)old post in reference to that: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...tranny-problem&p=276453&viewfull=1#post276453

10 years later... we all have learned that all of the 3053 transmissions out there had one and the same 5th-OD gear ratio (0.79:1), regardless of their origin - and if the tag had an "A" or not.

In the past there have been various manufacturers for the 35 different internals but time has proven that every single part between them is interchangeable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks